Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

I am new to modding and I was following the trim guide and got to the point where I am relocating the U10 and I flipped over my board to realize that it is completely different from the guides. The parts are in different locations and I am not sure how to continue other than buy another wii... suggestions?

Attachments

I am new to modding and I was following the trim guide and got to the point where I am relocating the U10 and I flipped over my board to realize that it is completely different from the guides. The parts are in different locations and I am not sure how to continue other than buy another wii... suggestions?
Did you look to see what the board revision is? From what you're saying, I'd guess you have a 6-layer board. When Nintendo changed from the 6 to 4-layer boards in the Wii, they moved stuff around, although the U10 relocation should be the same on all the revisions. This thread will show you how to find out which revision you have; if you still have the scraps from trimming the board, you should be able to find the revision number. This thread will show you what to do differently if you do have a 6-layer board. This being the case, you may still have to buy a new Wii, since the 6-layer board is trimmed a bit differently, but don't quote me on that. I am also new to this, so who knows? You might be able to still use it. Hope this helps.

I want to make my first console portable. Buuut I'm a bit short on money and experience. Do any of you know what console would be cheapest and easiest for me to make a portable for?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I want to make my first console portable. Buuut I'm a bit short on money and experience. Do any of you know what console would be cheapest and easiest for me to make a portable for?
That depends on what tools and materials you already have. Buying new tools and materials can easily end up costing more than the entire project. Additionally, most consoles will end up costing about the same to make a portable, as most of the costs are things you will need regardless of what console you are portablizing (eg batteries, screen, speakers)

It's kinda hard to tell from this picture, but it looks like I'm supposed to bridge the bottom 3 pins on the U10. Is that the case?

upload_2020-4-17_0-26-37.png

Hello everyone. I'm new to console creation.
I am building a replica of the console created by TimEE, the NinTimDo RP. Tim uses a wii classic controller pro to cut and extract only the joy sticks, to later put them in the NinTimDo RP. But to make the ABYX buttons, the D-Pad and the R, L, ZL, ZR, he uses switches bought from amazon. My question is, would there be a way to use the ABYX, D-Pad, and R, L, ZL, ZR circuits of the wii controller pro itself, instead of using amazon switches? Could these circuits be connected to the Teensy ++? That's all, thank you.

cheese

Staff member
Technically you could just cut out those sections of the controller board with a dremel or similar, but it would be easier to get some kind of soft tact switch

With a wii portable, would it be possible to create a switch that changes the video output from the screen to a video out jack so it can be used as a portable console as well? How would this be done?

cheese

Staff member
It's most likely possible, but for specifics of how you would actually go about it, it depends on specifically what you want.

I'll probably be using composite, so I'd want a switch that allows the output to be switched between the screen and a jack. Could I just get away with splitting the cables and turning the screen of when I want the alternate output, or should I use an electrical/mechanical switch?

cheese

Staff member
If you're using composite to the internal screen you'll need to either put a switch between the wii and the screen, or use a buffer chip. If you're using something like component or VGA for your screen you can just put the switch on the mode line.

I'm looking for parts to build a G-Boy (as a my first portable), would anyone recommend buying a Wii without a working disc drive? I know that it's not used when i eventually trim the console, but is it used for preparation? I'm trying to save money on materials and wiis without working disc drives tend to go for less on Ebay.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Broken disc drive wiis are perfect for portablizing. You don't need to use those functions at all to hack a Wii

I’m new to this hobby but I had an idea for an n64 portable any tips or things I should know?

I'm looking to use USB-C PD for my Wii Portable, but unfortunately the BB store is out of stock. Its worth noting I have already picked up some PTH08080 regs and some other parts, such that I wouldn't be using the RVL PMS. I'm also not so attached to the idea of the internal USB that I need it. The way I see it I have 3 options:
  1. Wait for Gman's board to come back in stock (any weird stuff I should know if I'm not using the RVL PMS?)
  2. Find a different board to handle PD negotiation (any recommendations?)
  3. Make my own PD board (I have virtually no gear for doing difficult SMD work, nor any experience :()
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!