Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Hello there, I was wondering if I can I use the mii channel and access the wii home screen on portablizemii?

Hey all. I just have some questions about making a portable Wii.
1. How big is a trimmed Wii motherboard? Can someone provide dimensions?
2. Can I possibly use a PS Vita housing or something like this (taken apart), since I don't have a 3D printer to make a case of my own?
3. If I can use a Vita housing, will the original screen work with the Wii? Or do I need a different one?

Sorry, I've never done anything like this and I'm trying to plan it all out.
Thanks. :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
1. How big is a trimmed Wii motherboard? Can someone provide dimensions?
2. Can I possibly use a PS Vita housing or something like this (taken apart), since I don't have a 3D printer to make a case of my own?
3. If I can use a Vita housing, will the original screen work with the Wii? Or do I need a different one?
1 around 3"x4" or 105x75mm (not exact but close)
2 you would need a spacer (if the wii even fits in the case to begin with)
3 no, you need a different one. Check the BOM for suggestions

1 around 3"x4" or 105x75mm (not exact but close)
2 you would need a spacer (if the wii even fits in the case to begin with)
3 no, you need a different one. Check the BOM for suggestions
If I use a Wii U gamepad shell, would that work better?
Also, what is a spacer? Something to keep the motherboard from touching the shell? Sorry, noob here.
Edit: is it possible to use the Wii U gamepad's screen? Or do I have to buy a different one from the link you posted? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
If I use a Wii U gamepad shell, would that work better?
Also, what is a spacer? Something to keep the motherboard from touching the shell? Sorry, noob here.
Edit: is it possible to use the Wii U gamepad's screen? Or do I have to buy a different one from the link you posted? Sorry for all the questions.
The Wii U gamepad shell is around as hard because it is very thin. A spacer is just a plastic bit that goes around the outside to make the entire casing thicker so you have more room inside.
No, you can't use a gamepad screen either, neither of those displays have driver boards (which you need to connect them to the console)

The Wii U gamepad shell is around as hard because it is very thin. A spacer is just a plastic bit that goes around the outside to make the entire casing thicker so you have more room inside.
No, you can't use a gamepad screen either, neither of those displays have driver boards (which you need to connect them to the console)
Okay. I already ordered a Wii U gamepad and I'll probably see about making a spacer. I'll just buy a new display then.
Also, sorry again for bothering you, but do you have any tutorials on how to wire in a headphone jack? Or maybe someone's worklog that is indepth?

Hey I have nearly finished my first portable, its simple and just runs gamecube games for now. I thought it was finished however after being on for a few minutes the wii goes to black screen. It loads portablizemii and games however after a few minutes it always goes to a black screen .It worked perfectly for long periods of time with portablizemii before the trim. Let me know if you need any more info to help.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Hey I have nearly finished my first portable, its simple and just runs gamecube games for now. I thought it was finished however after being on for a few minutes the wii goes to black screen. It loads portablizemii and games however after a few minutes it always goes to a black screen .It worked perfectly for long periods of time with portablizemii before the trim. Let me know if you need any more info to help.
I would make a thread on this in the Wii section providing pictures and as much info as possible.

I would make a thread on this in the Wii section providing pictures and as much info as possible.
Thanks will do. I have one last idea as to what the issue may be so ill try that but if I have no luck I will make a thread. Thanks again. ( :

Matt d

Anybody have the wii2hdmi pin outs? I cannot seem to find anything googling. I wanna know which lines I need to pull to go to the Wii av input

Thanks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You'll probably have to map them yourself.
This can be used as a reference for the pin numbers on the stock AV port.

Just be aware that the RGB pins shown are for 480i SCART, not 480p YPbPr (component). The component pins are slightly different, you can consult the AV pinout in the Wii Trimming Guide for that. The pin numbers in the socket diagram and trimming guide match up.

(Also, don't bump your own posts)

Cpbaus

Is putting a trimmed Wii into the Wii U Gamepad too much of a stretch? I don't have a 3D printer, so using something like the gamepad shell is probably the best option for me at the moment. There isn't too much space in the gamepad, and I was wondering if a Wii can somehow be crammed into one.

cheese

Staff member

nim

Hey, just joined and I want to make a "laptop" style portable out of an old famicom I got for cheap, I'm kind of confused just how you connect screens to consoles? I see a lot in the guides about getting composite outs from consoles, but how do you actually connect those to raw screens? Do you need driver boards?