Hi! I am trying to build my first handheld. I have two fully functional wiis (will get more as required), gonna get the GC+, U-amp, RVL-PMS-2, PMS-PD-2 soon. I . I have read and reread the trimming guide multiple times, watched the dual tact mod vid, read the batteries guide (based on what I understand, I don't need anything other than the RVL-PMS-2 for battery protection but correct me if I am wrong) and watched countless build videos at 0.25 speed. I am absolutely new to console modding, but I have made one DIY smart mirror before, with a touch screen I implemented myself (made up a lidar kinda setup with a bunch of laser LEDs and photoresistors and a huuuge number of multiplexers), and I also have a couple degrees in physics. So I am comfortable with what all is happening but I am by no means any kind of expert on electronics and how all of these complex circuitry works.
So with my background out of the way, I have a few of questions. First of all, I want to have it function as a handheld but also have some form of external video output.
- So my first question is, VGA splitters like this one at a glance look like all they are doing is running two wires from every pin. Is that correct?
- If yes can I do the same thing for my handheld (run two shielded wires from every display output pin, one to the handheld display and one to a VGA port)?
- And if that is possible, is there a way to install a switch that will switch the display (I am thinking of a simple transistor not gate on the ground lines of the two displays, but there probably are much better ways).
- Another thing I might want to do if possible is convert the VGA to HDMI. I saw the custom display management board that @JaksonS made and I don't have even close to enough knowledge for something like that. So I was wondering if there is something that exists to do just that. I understand HDMI is digital and also has audio output. So if I do this then I would also need a way to switch the audio output from the u-amp to the HDMI (I would like to also switch audio output even if I don't have HDMI but from what I understand, since VGA is only video output, I would have to separately connect the speakers to my console to switch the audio at all, which U-amp would do for me).
- Also, if I do have the option of having two displays, how would that change my battery choice?
- My last technicalish question is pretty simple. How do I select a good screen for my handheld? I have seen people post links to the ones they used but looking on eBay I am having a hard time identifying what is good. For example, Is this any good - Ebay link? Does not have any information about the kind of resolution or the display input type or the screen size.
- On a side note, what kind of PPI is usually good for these handhelds? Around 300?
- Finally, I tried joining the discord server, but I am already logged in to the forum with my discord and it is not letting me do anything and I can only see the enter-here channel, which is not very useful since my discord is already linked. Weird.
I hate that I am posting a text wall like this but thanks for entertaining me. I have been researching this a lot. I have all the necessary tools I think (Dremel, temp controlled solder and hot air gun, magnifier stand, wires of all AWGs I saw were relevant along with some AWG magnetic and shielded wires, tons of resistors, capacitors, transistors, and switches left over from my mirror project). I am not sure if my skills are good enough for this (probably not, hence the two wiis), and I really want to try making this even though I am a complete noob.
Any help is appreciated. If y'all point me to more materials I should be reading or watching before attempting this, I will do that as well.