Question I want to learn how to be prepared to start a project

Whaste

I know nothing about electronics, but I'd still love to tinker with them as a hobby. I have a few problems I hope someone can help me with. Since I'm still only 15, I can't get a project started and complete as quickly as I'd like so naturally, I think learning the basics of how to handle and put together console parts and stuff like that. Does anyone know any sources I can take this knowledge from or is anyone willing to guide me or direct me to one?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I know nothing about electronics, but I'd still love to tinker with them as a hobby. I have a few problems I hope someone can help me with. Since I'm still only 15, I can't get a project started and complete as quickly as I'd like so naturally, I think learning the basics of how to handle and put together console parts and stuff like that. Does anyone know any sources I can take this knowledge from or is anyone willing to guide me or direct me to one?
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/electronics-101-videos.1224/ Here's a decent place to start. Beyond that, it's really just a matter of finding scrap electronics to practice disassembly and soldering on.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Another really important crucial step in preparing for a project is understanding the common pitfalls and things that can go wrong and preparing for them. The best way to do this is to read everything. Read everything on the forums and then do it again. If you can do that, then you should have a really, really good idea of what you need to do, how to do it, and what obstacles may come up.

Portables
To build on the other 2 answers, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS! Chances are if you have a question, someone else probably has a similar question. The worst that should happen is to get redirected to another forum post with the answer for which you are searching.

A quick source that will start you from the basics and keep you going for a while:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/