Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

Hey I am new to this and I have been researching and looking around at articles and videos about PS2 Portables. I just need help choosing the best parts e.g. batteries and screen, and how to actually build it. My PS2 model is the SCHP-70002. I only have the PS2, a controller, and output cords to the tv at the moment with an ac adapter to turn it on currently delivering to my house. Any help?(I am making it vertical btw)

Hey I am new to this and I have been researching and looking around at articles and videos about PS2 Portables. I just need help choosing the best parts e.g. batteries and screen, and how to actually build it. My PS2 model is the SCHP-70002. I only have the PS2, a controller, and output cords to the tv at the moment with an ac adapter to turn it on currently delivering to my house. Any help?(I am making it vertical btw)
depending on the size you want it a 7" inch reverse monitor can work or you could go with a 5" inch getting a low powered( draws small amount of amps and possible 5v would be best.). your gonna need a case, screen,batteries,soldering iron, wire,solder, cooling fan depending, battery management system, charger for batteries, audio amp, speakers, screw drivers, tact switch, freemcboot(dvd drive draws to much),memory card,multimeter depending, breadboard if you want to mount certain things for more stability. some parts you can find on amazon, ebay, aliexpress etc. to me its best to wire both set of memory cards internally!
Screen(5" possible to run off 5v from reviews planning on getting one soon also!) :https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=MMRBH6ED6BJV5J0T5ZF4

case: can 3d print ,frankencase or buy a enclosure from polycase or so.
batteries I got mines (18650 cells) from old laptop battery packs. for the unit your going to need a 3s bms.
cooling fans im planning on using (bought already): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792BW2V...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

audio amp board(I use): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LODGV6...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

speakers : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVDW8P...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-merge-

for my current 50001 portable I so far have these parts(horizontal):
tactile buttons
bms
batteries(18650)
breadboard
wires
audio amp board
2 5v cooling fans
speakers
dc in female port
heatshrink.
diy usb female.
controller(I killed it tho lol)
no screen atm.
freemcboot(need to order one more)
128mb memorycard(need to order one more also)
case from amazon.
probably forgetting some.

Last edited by a moderator:
depending on the size you want it a 7" inch reverse monitor can work or you could go with a 5" inch getting a low powered( draws small amount of amps and possible 5v would be best.). your gonna need a case, screen,batteries,soldering iron, wire,solder, cooling fan depending, battery management system, charger for batteries, audio amp, speakers, screw drivers, tact switch, freemcboot(dvd drive draws to much),memory card,multimeter depending, breadboard if you want to mount certain things for more stability. some parts you can find on amazon, ebay, aliexpress etc. to me its best to wire both set of memory cards internally!
Screen(5" possible to run off 5v from reviews planning on getting one soon also!) :https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=MMRBH6ED6BJV5J0T5ZF4

case: can 3d print ,frankencase or buy a enclosure from polycase or so.
batteries I got mines (18650 cells) from old laptop battery packs. for the unit your going to need a 3s bms.
cooling fans im planning on using (bought already): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792BW2V...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

audio amp board(I use): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LODGV6...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

speakers : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVDW8P...colid=A2B4HI7KJWKV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Thanks for this info! I will look at this stuff and see if I can find some where I live (NZ). Amazon is waaaaay too expensive to ship here anyways. When I get started I will open a work log.

-merge-

for my current 50001 portable I so far have these parts(horizontal):
tactile buttons
bms
batteries(18650)
breadboard
wires
audio amp board
2 5v cooling fans
speakers
dc in female port
heatshrink.
diy usb female.
controller(I killed it tho lol)
no screen atm.
freemcboot(need to order one more)
128mb memorycard(need to order one more also)
case from amazon.
probably forgetting some.
Cool stuff! I think I'll pick up most if not all these items. I think for freemcboot I will have it on 8mb or 16mb memory card and have 128mb for game saves. I am also hoping to keep the disk drive so I can play disk games and also iso games on a USB.

Cool stuff! I think I'll pick up most if not all these items. I think for freemcboot I will have it on 8mb or 16mb memory card and have 128mb for game saves. I am also hoping to keep the disk drive so I can play disk games and also iso games on a USB.
the disk drive will shorten play time and add extra weight to the portable. I bought my freemcboot from ebay for like 9usd on a 8mb mc.
ik how it is with expensive usd is 2.85 times my currency tbh.
u can always check ebay n aliexpress for some parts also.
gonna be looking forward to your worklog

the disk drive will shorten play time and add extra weight to the portable. I bought my freemcboot from ebay for like 9usd on a 8mb mc.
ik how it is with expensive usd is 2.85 times my currency tbh.
u can always check ebay n aliexpress for some parts also.
gonna be looking forward to your worklog
Ok then, I should drop the disk drive. Battery life is important. I am installing FMCB onto my existing 8mb memory card and I will keep games on a USB and save games on the 2nd memory card (if possible)

Ok then, I should drop the disk drive. Battery life is important. I am installing FMCB onto my existing 8mb memory card and I will keep games on a USB and save games on the 2nd memory card (if possible)
best course of action tbh.mind posting a pic of the motherboard?

Attachments

yes that can work you can also preform the 5v mod I believe on that also.

-merge-

Ok here it is. I think can work with this, it's not too big actually.
lit you git a good on in-terms of the controller ports etc. are directly connected to the Motherboard.
but remember to record all info before removing anything like pin layout positive and negative the whole works.
you could shrink the height by removing all the ports for the most parts.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Trademe? You must be a Kiwi also :D

For the 5V mod, the first thing is to try running the screen on 5V - some of them just work. The other way is based off of a common design trait that most little screens use 5V and have a converter down from 12V. As difficult as this might be - this is the video that I learnt off before trying to jumper things. The other thing you could do is post a picture of the PCB from the monitor and someone around here might be able to point you in a more specific direction :)

Trademe? You must be a Kiwi also :D

For the 5V mod, the first thing is to try running the screen on 5V - some of them just work. The other way is based off of a common design trait that most little screens use 5V and have a converter down from 12V. As difficult as this might be - this is the video that I learnt off before trying to jumper things. The other thing you could do is post a picture of the PCB from the monitor and someone around here might be able to point you in a more specific direction :)

Churrrr yes I am a Kiwi. Thanks for this video, I have bought the monitor and it should arrive around Monday-Wednesday so I'll send a pic of the PCB when it arrives. I have been watching lots of videos trying to figure out which parts I need. I heard about the 18650 batteries but I am not sure if they are the greatest or not.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I'm not a very graceful portablizer by any means, and if I make another one would like to take the time to be super-attentive and make something that's "beautiful on the inside" too.

Where I'm going with this is that I've found pretty much anything goes as long as it can supply enough power. 18650s are very popular, cheap, and easy to use, but G-Man used 20700s in his latest, and for my first one I used 26650s because they were close to a Size-D and I frankencased a cheap digital clock.

TLDR: as long as it can provide the necessary amperage and voltage then it's really a matter of preference :)

I'm not a very graceful portablizer by any means, and if I make another one would like to take the time to be super-attentive and make something that's "beautiful on the inside" too.

Where I'm going with this is that I've found pretty much anything goes as long as it can supply enough power. 18650s are very popular, cheap, and easy to use, but G-Man used 20700s in his latest, and for my first one I used 26650s because they were close to a Size-D and I frankencased a cheap digital clock.

TLDR: as long as it can provide the necessary amperage and voltage then it's really a matter of preference :)
Ok cool. I have found 20700s and a charger.
Batteries: https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...ies/rechargeable/other/listing-1935039289.htm
Lithium Battery Charger: https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni.../rechargeable/chargers/listing-1936792586.htm

Man when you search up 20700 batteries on Google all you get is Vape videos :XD:.
So would these be good?(For the portable... not the vape hehe)

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Stick with the 18650 for the vape, you don't really need anything bigger than that lol

For the portable, they're a bit bigger than the 18650 but come with more capacity (mAh) as a result. This is the balancing act point where you've sort of got to figure out how heavy you want the unit vs. how long you want it to run for, but in all honesty those batteries should do you just fine. That charger should charge any Lion battery and I think it's the one I've got - it's slow but sure :)

As a bit of food for thought: The last one I made was packing a 6.5" HDMI screen that would pull above 2A when it was displaying white, and the standard PS2 with the Hailraiser mod will draw about 1.9A, so my unit usually hovered above 3A of draw. Now your unit won't pull that much as your screen isn't so "thirsty" but you might want to get the basic system running first and check your numbers before deciding which batteries to buy. On the other hand they're pretty cheap so grab a protection circuit and jump right in! lol

Stick with the 18650 for the vape, you don't really need anything bigger than that lol

For the portable, they're a bit bigger than the 18650 but come with more capacity (mAh) as a result. This is the balancing act point where you've sort of got to figure out how heavy you want the unit vs. how long you want it to run for, but in all honesty those batteries should do you just fine. That charger should charge any Lion battery and I think it's the one I've got - it's slow but sure :)

As a bit of food for thought: The last one I made was packing a 6.5" HDMI screen that would pull above 2A when it was displaying white, and the standard PS2 with the Hailraiser mod will draw about 1.9A, so my unit usually hovered above 3A of draw. Now your unit won't pull that much as your screen isn't so "thirsty" but you might want to get the basic system running first and check your numbers before deciding which batteries to buy. On the other hand they're pretty cheap so grab a protection circuit and jump right in! lol
Ok I think a longer battery life would be better so it doesn't die quickly. I will at least try to get it working with the monitor soldered to the mobo first of all. Do you have any kind of photo to show me which part I am supposed to solder the yellow and white port?(AV) I did hear that I am supposed to put them near a power port thing.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Google is often your friend, but in this case read the trimming guide by GMan under the guides section of this forum as it really is superb and covers the AV pins for linking everything up. Try to work progressively, so don't desolder or trim everything at once if this is your first one as it's better to make a change, test and be sure, and then be able to back it up if need be.

For the record look up RCA video connections to get the colour coding for linking it up :)

Google is often your friend, but in this case read the trimming guide by GMan under the guides section of this forum as it really is superb and covers the AV pins for linking everything up. Try to work progressively, so don't desolder or trim everything at once if this is your first one as it's better to make a change, test and be sure, and then be able to back it up if need be.

For the record look up RCA video connections to get the colour coding for linking it up :)
This is my first build. I will read that guide and look up RCA video connections tomorrow because it's 12am. I will at least test the monitor with the 5v mod when it arrives. Thanks for your help so far :D

This is my first build. I will read that guide and look up RCA video connections tomorrow because it's 12am. I will at least test the monitor with the 5v mod when it arrives. Thanks for your help so far :D
good luck and don't accidentally do reverse polarity

Good luck! :)
Hey um I think it could be broken. Whenever I turn it on the screen makes random flashes and the noise in the background plays for the boot up but then it just stops but the console is still running. I've tried changing the AV ports and that still doesn't change anything. Any help?