Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Virjoinga, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Dominatory .

removing the disc drive shouldn't cause major dmg like that. my 77XXXX with removed disk drive uses same volts

MRKane likes this.
  2. Virjoinga .

3. MRKane .

Any of those 18650 holders will work - personally I like buying single ones and gluing them into different shapes that fit snugly around my projects :)

And I agree with Dominatory - removing the drive shouldn't have damaged the unit. I will note that many PS2s are getting old at this stage and I have had them simply die on me, so that can happen too.

4. Virjoinga .

Single ones glued around the case sounds like a good idea actually. 2 batteries on each side (or 4 if I'm crazy). How would soldering them to this red board work? If they are 4 separate battery holders then how would soldering work? I'm confused and I am just being cautious because I don't want to break another PS2 when it comes to putting it together.

5. Dominatory .

to solder to the red board you will use the wires on the cell holders and connect it to them

6. Virjoinga .

Ahhh so all 4 cell holders connect to them. Would I have to spread out the wires so they don't connect together accidentally?

7. Dominatory .

once its not short circuiting

8. Virjoinga .

Ok here is my monitor. How would I go about applying the 5v mod and soldering it to the mobo?

Attached Files:

9. MRKane .

10. Virjoinga .

Oh yes it's very similar (just not blue). I'll read up about this and try to get the 5v mod to work. Then I need to solder it to my PS2 which should arrive on Monday. I need to look up or ask where to solder the wires to. Thanks for this page :D

11. Virjoinga .

12. MRKane .

No, use a Free McBoot memory card - those things have a lot of incredible functions for $20NZD. Have a pick through a few more online guides and even watch some of the videos people have made about making a portable PS2 - they really help to fill in odd-ball little questions like this (that you might otherwise lie in bed at night wondering about) :)

Virjoinga likes this.
  13. Virjoinga .

Ah ok. So I dont need Modbo, gotcha. How about these batteries? Are they safe?
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1936556588

14. MRKane .

I've got those exact ones from that trader. Now pertaining to "are they safe?" I'd be disinclined to put a chisel through them whilst indoors, but they should do you just fine.

15. Virjoinga .

Ok cool as I'll buy them then. Also my new PS2 has arrived and the model is 75002.

16. Virjoinga .