Discussion I just wanna talk about my failure of a wii

Portables
OG boy
So a while back i started on a wii portable with the ultimate goal of it being the full wii experience. The same classic Home Screen that i loved when i was young and all the other aspects. I wanted to load from usb loader gx as it has the same interface we all know. Many problems and 3 wii boards later, it is all there. Bigger than the original wii. My plans where to have it around the size of the wii board as i would layer everything on top but then i learned that to have no emulation, it needed the disk drive board. No problem, a little bigger, but what can i do? I took the board off the drive and put it back on the wii without the rest of the drive. (someone on reddit said it would work) and it returned the same error than it did with no drive. Ok long story short, its huge and janky with no built in controllers but it works. (Actually it doesn’t anymore one of the batteries broke and I haven’t bothered with it yet) so yeah.
D388DB4A-4677-40D5-884A-055B2C1E2A90.jpeg

but next year, after i build my pc and save some money, i will build the first of its kind (as far as i can tell). A portable snes. This article is proof I thought of it first.

Portables
OG boy
Long story short, made horrible sacrifices to have a portable that still had the same features.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
i will build the first of its kind (as far as i can tell). A portable snes. This article is proof I thought of it first.
You are required from here on out to run at least a single Google search before declaring that you're building "the first of it's kind" of anything. Portable SNESes were built before you were born.

Portables
OG boy
You are required from here on out to run at least a single Google search before declaring that you're building "the first of it's kind" of anything. Portable SNESes were built before you were born.
Really? Can you send a link because i searched and searched and the closest thing i could find was a guy with a portable monitor and a battery bank lol. Btw i meant a non emulated snes utilising the snes classic mini so its official nintendo hardware

Shank

Staff member
Portables
For anyone finding this thread in the future, nothing in the initial post should be taken as accurate information. Disc drive board has nothing to do with "no emulation". SNES portables have existed for well over a decade before BitBuilt was a thing. Disc drive daughterboard board can return calls without the drive attached. Construction techniques used in this build are not recommended, and potentially dangerous.

Portables
OG boy
For anyone finding this thread in the future, nothing in the initial post should be taken as accurate information. Disc drive board has nothing to do with "no emulation". SNES portables have existed for well over a decade before BitBuilt was a thing. Disc drive daughterboard board can return calls without the drive attached. Construction techniques used in this build are not recommended, and potentially dangerous.
Not dangerous imo. Just connected to lcd and power as well as an amp and speaker the same way you would a normal wii. But yeah wouldnt recommend it either. And is i said in the original post “as far as i can see”. I searched for ages and couldn’t find anything but cheap emulators of a portable snes thats my fault for saying it wrong

Shank

Staff member
Portables

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Define what you mean by "build method" regarding those batteries and not being dangerous.

Going to be honest, I've seen what was basically a pipe bomb - black powder shoved into a cardboard tube with taped ends (it's a story involving rocketry) that made me less uncomfortable than looking at those battery cells. How is charging/voltage regulation being handled? Also please tell me the wires are at least connected to the cells.

Edit: All that said, please don't let any of this discourage you - when you pick up your next project though, I'd recommend reading through some of the other threads and the guide hub. Batteries can be dangerous if not handled properly and many of us take that very to heart.

Last edited:
Portables
OG boy
Define what you mean by "build method" regarding those batteries and not being dangerous.

Going to be honest, I've seen what was basically a pipe bomb - black powder shoved into a cardboard tube with taped ends (it's a story involving rocketry) that made me less uncomfortable than looking at those battery cells. How is charging/voltage regulation being handled? Also please tell me the wires are at least connected to the cells.

Edit: All that said, please don't let any of this discourage you - when you pick up your next project though, I'd recommend reading through some of the other threads and the guide hub. Batteries can be dangerous if not handled properly and many of us take that very to heart.
Charging is regulated by the 14.4v charger and power regulated by the wii mobo. And yes the wires are all connected. Only looks dangerous because they’re taped up.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Charging is regulated by the 14.4v charger and power regulated by the wii mobo. And yes the wires are all connected. Only looks dangerous because they’re taped up.
Do these cells have any lithium protection circuitry between them and the Wii itself?