Question I have read that you can use over 2tb HDD with wii

England Buckingham Palace with a fake tash
Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
hello i have been looking about and i have read that you can use a large hard drive as long as you format it like this

1. Install them with WUP Installer GX2 to USB (or nand if you want)
  2. Play them from your SD card using the homebrew Loadiine
  3. Play them from your FAT32 USB drive with Loadiine using the FAT32 Mocha CFW build
  4. Play them from your FAT32 USB drive installed with WUP Installer GX to a none FAT32 place (either NAND or a Wii U formatted USB drive) and move them over to a FAT32 drive using your PC and ftpiiu everywhere, then use FAT32 Mocha CFW build again to use that drive for your Wii U.
The only good solution in my opinion is 1.
You would need an extra drive for that, that is only being used by the Wii U, not the (v)Wii, as it has to be formatted into the Wii U filesystem. Also keep in mind that 2 TB is the absolute max size for that drive. You can use bigger drives but that would be a waste as the Wii U can only use 2 TB and the rest of the space would be unusable.
With method 1 you have full compatibility which means every game runs without any issues and in full speed.
Method 2 was the main method until the WUP method (also known as Brazilian Exploit btw) came up. The problems are obvious: You can't store many games on a SD card, it's slow and due to the way Loadiine works it has some issues (cutscenes in Twilight Princess are buggy) and not every game works (One Peace Unlimited World Red and a few others). You'll have long loading times also.
For method 3 there's a special build of Mocha CFW that supports FAT32 drives so from the moment where you launch that Mocha build, you're Wii U uses an attached FAT32 drive as its SD card. So everything that could be done with a SD card before (including method 2) can be done from USB now. You would however have the same issues as in 2 as it's still Loadiine after all.
Method 4 sounds promising but it's the worst one, really. Don't do that ever.
It's tricky, buggy, takes a long time to set up (ftpiiu is slow) and the biggest downside: You're still limited to 2 TB even on your FAT32 drive. So the big advantage that you could use your FAT32 (v)Wii drive for your Wii U games too turns into a disadvantage as there's only 2 TB in which everything for your Wii U, Wii and GC (Nintendont) has to take place. Also loading times are as slow as in Loadiine due to the shitty Ninty FAT driver.

For the Wii or vWii (both are technically the same when it comes to hard drive usage) you can use any drive size. 5 or even 8 TB are completely fine (although I don't know why you would need 8 TB lol). Just be sure to format it into one big FAT32 partition and use MBR instead of GPT.
If you don't know how to do that formatting magic, write back here and I'll try to help you.
There are however three things you should know when using a drive on the vWii:
  1. Using 2,5" drives is only possible with an Y cable as the Wii U doesn't offer enough voltage on the USB ports where the good old Wii did. So a 2,5" drive takes up an extra USB slot (two in sum). You could use an active USB hub though.
  2. Some drives go in sleep mode and some apps like USB Loader GX are not able to wake them up properly with standard settings so you need to use a workaround (changing USBLGX's IOS, using another homebrew first which doesn't have that issue like WiiFlow to boot into USBLGX or put USBLGX on the USB drive only and relaunch the forwarder channel for it until it launches)
  3. If you attach a FAT32 drive to the Wii U it would complain about it with an annoying popup so you might want to "hide" it from the Wii U by using the PC tool UStealth. Almost all vWii homebrew apps will still be working fine with that.
So if you ask me for the "perfect setup" to date:
Use a 2 TB drive for the Wii U (method 1) and a FAT32 drive of any size for the vWii, hidden with Ustealth.

I took this from a gbatemp forum that i was on

Just wanted to know you thoughts about this.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/3tb-4tb-5tb-or-6tb-drives-with-vwii-usb-loader-gx-nintendont.429374/

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I use option 1 with redNAND. It's the safest and most stable method. The only problems that come with it are if the game dump is missing a bit of one file from a dodgy download, the install might not fail and the game will just crash when you try to boot it. So you have to make sure your dumps are good before you try to install them. And you can forget ever using the drive cleanup tool on the U, it just runs recursively for hours and will never be finished because it's not designed to fix unsigned installations.

Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
Yes that's how I'm doing it, one single partition on my Western Digital 8TB My Book USB 3.0 HDD. I had to set it to 64k clusters in order to use the entire drive because when I tried 32k clusters only 4TB showed up. Been playing Wii & GameCube's off it without any problems using USB Loader GX & Nintendont.

My setup if it helps anyone:
-Original Nintendo Wii (Not Wii U)
-Western Digital 8TB My Book USB 3.0 HDD
-One 8TB MBR Partition set as ACTIVE & PRIMARY
-FAT32 Formatted
-4k Sector
-64k Cluster

..........................................so could i use a 8tb with PortablizeMii Just Wodering..........................................

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes that's how I'm doing it, one single partition on my Western Digital 8TB My Book USB 3.0 HDD. I had to set it to 64k clusters in order to use the entire drive because when I tried 32k clusters only 4TB showed up. Been playing Wii & GameCube's off it without any problems using USB Loader GX & Nintendont.

My setup if it helps anyone:
-Original Nintendo Wii (Not Wii U)
-Western Digital 8TB My Book USB 3.0 HDD
-One 8TB MBR Partition set as ACTIVE & PRIMARY
-FAT32 Formatted
-4k Sector
-64k Cluster

..........................................so could i use a 8tb with PortablizeMii Just Wodering..........................................
You could do it, yes. How well it'll work, I have no idea. Postloader is pretty anal about the 32k clusters, but you can still give it a go. You might get lucky.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Drive compatibility can be different between applications; postLoader might recognize one thing, but whether or not nintendont, SNEEK, or any emulators will be compatibile are unknown.

Portables
i will get round to it just to test it out when i get a 8tb test it.... then i need it for a hyperspin setup... i will get round to it tho and ill post on here about it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You should be able to use a 8tb drive, however, you won't be able to use all 8tb of space, since 4tb is the maximum size for a fat32 partition.

Edit: I wouldn't suggest trying sizes this large anyway, since this is more into theoretical limits vs well tested bounds. PM requires 32kb clusters, so you can't use the 64k clusters setting you have now.

Last edited:
Portables
@cheese @ShockSlayer @Stitches hey guys.....

so how does the clusters work like it's with size's i'm guessing ,and PM use's 32kb cluster thanks cheese.
but i have heard you can use up to 16tb with fat32 a few times just checking.
so like if i wanted a 3tb hdd (i know the SSD are meant for a wii, but i will wait a bit for one of them LOL)
could i use it with PM because the complete wii collection is like 2.3tb or sumthing
or would like 4tb work IDK
Thanks you know i ask people stuff like this a lot that i think up "now how does that work"

i'm getting better a lot lost but i have not been doing this very long

PS shock slayer i have seen your pokemon hack with that guy playing it pokemon guru master or sumthing lol hes cool he looks stoned or sum thing but that's cool man like in deep space 9.

Portables
can some one point me to a page about fat32 formatting i'm lost here.

I know i needs it to be 32kb cluster.
and i know PM is not meant for a tv or i might be wrong there if you get technical.
and I do have a soldering iron if it helps and only used it on a tsop xbox.
sorry i just lost here.

Portables
ok 4tb I'm getting @cheese, with 32kb clusters because it will read it and I will get all that size on PM. and it has to be a usb hard drive that can be formatted with fat32 and over 2tb. man segate said that there will be a 60tb SSD next year with there production of SSD formula times are changing and the wii is not getting taken over by the switch on here shit could you even make a portable switch it would just need a power cord to the console I know useless.