Question I have a few questions

Hi im just about ready to start ordering parts for my first portable and after reading all the wii portable guides I still have a few question. For the trim of the board what are the best tools to do that with. Two I don't what to buy a screen from china and what to find one that ships from the United States, where is the best place to buy that. Three do I have to buy clicky buttons for the controller or could I just wire up a third party gamecube controller to a gc+ board and do I need 3ds slider for the joy stick. Also do I have to spend 50$ on a power management board or some how make one if possible. Also what wire should I use for the different parts.

thanks.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
For the trim of the board what are the best tools to do that with
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Get a rotary cutting tool that has adjustable speed settings. I use thin cut off wheels when I cut the motherboard with high speed. It’s better than low speed, you’re more likely to spin out and do a BocuD nand slice if you use low speeds. When cutting, apply little force and take your time.

Two I don't what to buy a screen from china and what to find one that ships from the United States, where is the best place to buy that.
Why don’t you want to get a screen from China? They have some of the better VGA panels and are quite cheap from my understanding. Alibaba has a good selection and most people use the 4:3 5” VGA panel, the same one that is in the G-Wii. Otherwise you can get any screen that accepts VGA input/composite, it depends on how you design your portable.

Three do I have to buy clicky buttons for the controller or could I just wire up a third party gamecube controller to a gc+ board and do I need 3ds slider for the joy stick.
You don’t have to buy clicky buttons. A button is a button and will do its job. Most people use the orange squishy tacts from “Alps” as they give a good OEM feel similar to an original GameCube controller button press, but you could use clicky tacts, design a PCB with membranes, or use other buttons. Again, up to you what you decide to use. I don’t know what you mean by wire up a third party GameCube controller but yes you can salvage the buttons from inside one and use that along with a GC+. A GC+ is a controller emulator designer by Aurelio. Before that, people used the ICs from original controllers but there’s no point doing that now. 3DS sliders are a good option but most people are going with switch sticks these days. Any standard 10K potentiometer will work and ranges can be adjusted in software thanks to pizza magic of Aurelio.

do I have to spend 50$ on a power management board or some how make one if possible. Also what wire should I use for the different parts.
You don’t have to spend 50$ on the board but it’s the best solution right now for portables and the most efficient as you get all you need out of the box for step down voltage regulation, battery management, balancing, and various microcontroller features that Gman has programmed. The parts are of high quality, and if you don’t go with this your only other option will be to make your own board or use a Chinese board for battery management. Cheaper, but shit (and you need regulators anyway). I’d grab some 22 AWG wire for ground and power wires such as connecting batteries and main voltage lines, some magnet wire (38AWG) for Bluetooth and VGA, some more magnet wire (34AWG) for general purpose and maybe some other general purpose hookup wire (30AWG) for wiring up GC+, speakers etc.

Good luck! (PS, all these questions can be answered by reading all of the guides, worklogs etc). Make sure you check those out and read them a gajillion-billion-fajillion times. Ok, maybe not that many times but you get the point! Make a worklog! We need more of these on BB.

Thanks a lot that was a lot more than i was expecting. The last question that i have that i forgot to put in was I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the relocation guide for some reason its very confusing.