Question I’ve seen N64s combined with monitors, why not projectors?

Just to preface, I’m such a noob at this stuff I don’t even know what most of the terms mean.

I’ve been researching for about a month now, looking for info, a guide, or even a finished product where an N64 and a projector have been put in one case. I’ve found many handheld versions, and even one monitor version. But there’s nothing on projectors, not even whether or not it’s even feasible.

My basic idea is exactly how it sounds, one box that’s a projector and game console in one. If I had more knowledge on this stuff, I’d try to make it still function as a normal projector with multiple inputs, but I think I’ll stick to the basics for now. I haven’t browsed this forum long, so if there’s something like that somewhere I’d be very grateful for a link to it. If not, there are a few questions I have.

1. Type of projector.
I’m not looking for top of the line image quality. In fact, my budget is somewhat limited. Just something small, cheap, and something that does the game’s graphics justice. I know modern displays mess up the graphics of old consoles, and I assume that goes for projectors too.

2. Which/ what type of power supply and how to connect everything things to it.

3. What to use as/ how to make a case.
The majority of stuff I’ve looked at use 3D printed pieces to build the case, which is something I just don’t have access too. It shouldn’t be too hard to weld some metal bits together, but I’m worried that might mess up the electrical components if I jerryrig something together. I can obviously insulate it but I want to do it properly.

4. Connect the N64 to the projector.
I was hoping to get some really short set of vga cables and just connect it regularly inside the case, but I don’t think that’s recommended or possible with the proprietary connector on the console.

5. RGB modding?
I’ve seen this term used when talking about n64 mods, so I want to know what it is and if it is necessary. I’d rather do as little meddling with the components as possible.

If there’s anything else I need to know or understand before starting, please let me now. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Projectors are getting cheaper and smaller now so I guess we might see more of them? I had an idea in about 06/07 for an NES portable with a projector that was just an nes controller with a pullout white backdrop but it wasn't feasible at the time.

@nobble just made an raspberry pi portable with a projector so he can offer more on the subject.

edit: also thinking about it, if are one of those people that move your hands a lot while using a controller that could get pretty barfy pretty quick.

nobble

I like where this is going. Simply put you could literally connect a composite cable inside the box to the N64 board and mount it above pointing towards the wall for an easy mod. It doesn't have to be fancy on the inside. Just keep in mind to either keep or replace the heatsink on the DLP LED assembly before turning it on, or you can burn out the light and it won't work afterwards. You could even fit both a projector and a slimmed down N64 board, or a Pi3 inside a regular console case for an even more wow-factor build. These projectors are very cheap now and even 540p is perfect for playable gaming.

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
The majority of stuff I’ve looked at use 3D printed pieces to build the case, which is something I just don’t have access too. It shouldn’t be too hard to weld some metal bits together, but I’m worried that might mess up the electrical components if I jerryrig something together. I can obviously insulate it but I want to do it properly.
We have a 3D printing service here on the site. So long as you provide the 3D model, just PM me and I can help print off anything you need. :)

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Just to preface, I’m such a noob at this stuff I don’t even know what most of the terms mean.

I’ve been researching for about a month now, looking for info, a guide, or even a finished product where an N64 and a projector have been put in one case. I’ve found many handheld versions, and even one monitor version. But there’s nothing on projectors, not even whether or not it’s even feasible.

My basic idea is exactly how it sounds, one box that’s a projector and game console in one. If I had more knowledge on this stuff, I’d try to make it still function as a normal projector with multiple inputs, but I think I’ll stick to the basics for now. I haven’t browsed this forum long, so if there’s something like that somewhere I’d be very grateful for a link to it. If not, there are a few questions I have.

1. Type of projector.
I’m not looking for top of the line image quality. In fact, my budget is somewhat limited. Just something small, cheap, and something that does the game’s graphics justice. I know modern displays mess up the graphics of old consoles, and I assume that goes for projectors too.

2. Which/ what type of power supply and how to connect everything things to it.

3. What to use as/ how to make a case.

4. Connect the N64 to the projector.
I was hoping to get some really short set of vga cables and just connect it regularly inside the case, but I don’t think that’s recommended or possible with the proprietary connector on the console.

5. RGB modding?
I’ve seen this term used when talking about n64 mods, so I want to know what it is and if it is necessary. I’d rather do as little meddling with the components as possible.

If there’s anything else I need to know or understand before starting, please let me now. Thank you in advance.
Looks like you made it over here, so here's an idea for you. They sell craptastic projectors for less that $100 (I'm defining any projector under $5k as craptastic btw) that accept regular old composite as an input.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/TANGCISON-Projector-Portable-Multimedia-Theater/dp/B073F5J6GC/

Or a mini like this (you'll have to find one with composite or get a composite to HDMI converter): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYM0EY6/

Then have Matthew 3d print you an enclousure that looks like a 64DD to put the projector inside. Then you can simply shorten the AV cables (to connect externally) and power the projector separately. It would be be a good, straght forward, first mod.

300px-64DD-Attached.jpg

Last edited: