Question How to start building a portable?

I've got a Slim PS2 that I'd like to turn into a portable. It's an SCPH-90001. I have a Modbo 5.0 in the mail for it. My question is, what is needed to start here?

What I know I need:
  • Screen with video In (Thinking of the 5" 4:3 VGA that BitBuilt sells)
  • Power management
  • Controller management
I've got some shell design ideas based largely on the Switch Lite design for comfort. I know it has to be thick enough to accommodate the rest of the internals, just spitballing at the moment.

What I dont know:
  • Board cutting? Where do I cut? What do I cut?
  • Power Management? My slimline has an internal power supply as opposed to the 7XXX series that use a power brick.
  • What boards are available for controller management?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Once I know how big the board turns out to be, I'll be able to start prototyping some designs.

Quakers

Smash that like button!
Nothing to fear my friend :), theres a whole public ps2 trimming guide here in BitBuilt.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-ps2-trimming-guide.1841/
Just follow the guide and remember, to cut over the line shown. And then sand the outside after, to ensure that you don't damage any internals. Also for tools to cut the board I'd suggest using a Dremel ( Point of advice Dremels use speed not force).
As for the rest I'm unsure as I'm also quite new to this too, but I hope I was of some help :)

Good luck on the project!

Thanks, quackers. My issue is the board layout being different. I may have to try and pick up a 7900X instead.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Unfortunately the 7900X models are the only ones supported for trimming. I'd reccomend trying to get one of those if you're looking to trim, I can generally find them on eBay for $30 or so.