Question How to get started?

Blabby

Hi all! I've been pretty fixated on building a portable wii as of late, and decided (after some surface-level research) that an Ashida would be my best bet for a first project. Thing is, I have very limited knowledge when it comes to hard-modding and electronics, so I have no idea where to even start. I understand that I have to trim a Wii PCB, and buy a PMS-RVL, the PMS-PD, the Ashida PCB set, etc etc., but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. It feels really overwhelming, so any help would be awesome. Thanks!

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
This is a good start: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/electronics-101-videos.1224/
This will teach you about the fundamentals of electronics theory. Afterwards, go through the guide hub to understand the anatomy of a portable. Finally, look at different worklogs and observe what they're doing and using.

Edit: I forgot to mention, SAFETY!!! When trimming, do it outside (or in a well ventilated area) and wear an appropriate mask. Also, having a fan to extract the fumes is, although optional, recommended. I didn't use an appropriate mask when I trimmed my board and I was paranoid as shit because I could smell the dust from the motherboard. I took a shower 5 times that day. I only got a little sick, but know that safety isn't something to fuck around with.

Last edited:
It's always a lot at the beginning. But you'll learn a lot from it in the end.
Definitely watch the videos in the link above, if you pay attention it's a wealth of knowledge.

Also, read the bitbuilt forums.
9 times out of 10 the questions you are asking have been asked before, and you can usually find the answer after a bit of digging.
For example, I haven't had to ask a question in maybe 2-3 years on this forum cause I always find the answer after a bit of digging.

In my opinion, the Ashida Portable is a perfect beginner's project and is a very well-done system.

Now, I'm no expert and there are people much more knowledgeable on this forum. So, maybe they will disagree with my opinion. But in my opinion, I suggest installing RVLoader on your Wii to get that out of the way.

Then order the PCB set:
The installation instructions can be found next to the product description in the DIAGRAMS tab.

Along with all of the parts listed on their website that you will need.

Then get to learning. So once everything comes in you'll have the confidence to get it all done.

Don't be scared to take the Dremel outside and safely cut a few things so you learn how it handles. Also, take apart some electronic devices you don't care about and practice soldering. Before you know it you'll be a soldering pro.

Feel free to message me if you have questions you may be too embarrassed to post. I know some people on here can be a bit high strung.But we're all hear because of our love for portable systems and eletronics.

Blabby

So sorry for the late reply! Thanks everyone for the help, I'm feeling a little bit less intimidated by this project now :)