How much did you spend on your portable?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Back when I was working on my portable gamecube (that I almost finished :P) I ended up paying around $400 since I fried a mobo and a screen, and had to get a modchip and all that extra junk... The only part I didn't finish was putting controls in the case, everything else was basically done.

JacksonS

Portables
With all the prototyping and various almost-worked-but-not-quite designs that have gone into it, I've spent almost $500 so far.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Close to $400 for my gcp (although I had to buy parts more than once etc)

I think almost $200 on the wii so far, and at least another $50 before I'm done. So $250-300 for it. Without unnecessary parts and double buys etc, it was about $200 when I budgeted it out. :)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
My most expensive GC (which had 3 case revisions) was well over a thousand. Australian dollars don't go very far when all the parts are made overseas >.>

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Nes clone portables are cheaper than anything i ve worked with, only spent 83$
What's the point though? Most are just emulators, and even something as weak as a Gameboy advance can emulate NES games well.

Shank

Staff member
Portables

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If there was any possible way for me to track my portablizing related purchases all the way back to 2006, I'd be more interested in that total number. But I'd say I'm probably close to a 5 digit range by now.

The two most expensive things in portablizing are development and stupidity.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I love Nes cartridges. It doesnt feel the same on a gameboy advance or emulator even though i do have both
They make those and sell them for less than what you put into building a portable. That's what I sent a picture of, although I believe that can also play snes carts

Portables
I know. So again I ask, why?
Why not?
I mean, why do we make gamecube/wii portables even though the Nintendo Switch is available and Dolphin emulator exists? Why do we still make n64 portables when the pi3 can emulate it almost perfectly and play mutliple consoles? Why are you putting a wii in an altoids tin?
The answer is and has always been: because we can. That's what the hobby is about. Doing things for the heck of it.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Why not?
I mean, why do we make gamecube/wii portables even though the Nintendo Switch is available and Dolphin emulator exists? Why do we still make n64 portables when the pi3 can emulate it almost perfectly and play mutliple consoles? Why are you putting a wii in an altoids tin?
The answer is and has always been: because we can. That's what the hobby is about. Doing things for the heck of it.
Personally I think there's something special about using the original hardware over emulation that makes portables awesome.

That being said, I don't see the point of making a portable of a clone, because it's likely emulating the console anyway..