how easy is the ashida as a beginner project?

i've never built a portable. soldered for the first time two days ago and did a badddd job (but im getting better). the ashida looks like a really good project to push myself to do, but i'm not 100% committed. it is nice as it's fairly cheap - a wii isn't too much, like $20 or something, and the custom pcbs are like $15 on 4layertech

Viilmo

Portables
You should have atleast some experience. you should practice a bit until you're sure that you can do it. Building a portable wii is hard and can take really long. It isn't cheap either the pcbs are way more expensive. You can find a parts list on the 4layertech website.

Nah the only $15 4layer pcb is the gc+.
You should do something like the gwii or an original project first.

Heuic

Expect to spend at least 400 dollars for your first portable. As for building the ashida without any previous experience I would say just drive in head first and do it. I built my first Wii portable without any previous soldering experience and it ain't pretty but it works, so yeah just go for it but expect to spend a lot of money

Nah the only $15 4layer pcb is the gc+.
You should do something like the gwii or an original project first.

Heuic

You still have buy another 140 dollars of pcbs so solder into that pcb set.you obviously haven't done any sort of research or reading so I recommend you do alot of it before building your first portable

You still have buy another 140 dollars of pcbs so solder into that pcb set.you obviously haven't done any sort of research or reading so I recommend you do alot of it before building your first portable
yea man i just skimmed through everything last night, i'll keep reading and looking around

I think the ashida is easier than the gwii. Way less wiring but it’s a bit more cramped. Ashida seems to need more shielded wire than gwii in my experience so troubleshooting could be more complicated on ashida.. they are both great first builds. Gwii is nice because it really teaches you what goes where because you have to hand wire every connection

glad you’re getting into it.

I think the ashida is easier than the gwii. Way less wiring but it’s a bit more cramped. Ashida seems to need more shielded wire than gwii in my experience so troubleshooting could be more complicated on ashida.. they are both great first builds. Gwii is nice because it really teaches you what goes where because you have to hand wire every connection

glad you’re getting into it.
thanks man, im not entirely sure what to build but i know its gonna be a wii portable. i know for certain that i don't want to make my own since that is far out of my realm right now

Gwii buttons are a bit of a process. Just that alone makes the ashida easier… lol

Even easier yet would be getting your hands on a gboy kit.

I’m also new and tried soldering 2years ago ( I melted a motor) and a gboy kit would be great

Well, the only way to get a gboy kit is to either find one from someone who purchased it when it was last available.
Or you can wait til Gunnar and 4 layer have the time to get the rev 3.5 ready and release it some time in the future. No release date has been set as far as I know.