How does it all work? And why?

Hello! I’m new to the Bitbuilt forums and came here interested in Wii portables. I’ve been wondering a few things:

How does it all work? (Why do certain circuits exist, what do they do, and why things are the way they are in the insides of a Wii portable)

What is the difficulty level of building one? (I know it requires soldering and a dremel and things but how long would one take and is it even worth it?)

Where would I get the parts (Like all the custom PCBs and circuitry and things? Would I have to build them myself?)

Thank you.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
-For an overview on how the concepts work: In my Gboy Video and Real Boy Video, I went into detail on how we replace parts on the board with custom circuits that do what we want. The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide is also an excellent resource.
-For details on the parts of the stock Wii Circuit board, what they do, and what we do and don't need from it: Wii Anatomy Guide
-To learn more about the basics of electronics: Electronics 101 Videos
-Difficulty of building one: Its not easy, but if you use the right tools, do your research, and put your mind to it, its doable even for a beginner. But again, it is chllenging.
-Where to buy the custom boards to make a portable: 4Layer Tech (community storefront run by Gman, Aurelio, and I)

-For an overview on how the concepts work: In my Gboy Video and Real Boy Video, I went into detail on how we replace parts on the board with custom circuits that do what we want. The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide is also an excellent resource.
-For details on the parts of the stock Wii Circuit board, what they do, and what we do and don't need from it: Wii Anatomy Guide
-To learn more about the basics of electronics: Electronics 101 Videos
-Difficulty of building one: Its not easy, but if you use the right tools, do your research, and put your mind to it, its doable even for a beginner. But again, it is chllenging.
-Where to buy the custom boards to make a portable: 4Layer Tech (community storefront run by Gman, Aurelio, and I)
Thank you, Shank.