Question How do Boards Typically Handle Voltage Variation?

NLG

I plan on building a PS3 laptop using a superslim model motherboard, and would like to make it run off batteries. I plan on using some of those 3s LiPo's they use with drones and other RC projects, specifically two 3300mah packs in parallel to hopefully get a bit under an hour of battery life (since the super slim appears to consume around 65-80w)

My question is, since 3s lipos vary from 9.6v to 12.6v, would I be able to just directly connect the battery to a 12v line? How precise does this "12v" voltage need to be? Or should I get some 4s lipos and use a step-down converter like this one? What do people typically do when trying to power something that calls for 12v using a lipo battery?

Thanks!

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
i’m a bit of a noob so take this with a grain of salt:
unless your battery output is a constant 12v, you’d want some kind of regulator. if the voltage output is just above 12v then an ldo might be a good choice, but otherwise a buck converter is probably the best

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
OP, you'll want to read these if you haven't already:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/

Disclaimer, I have no specific knowledge of the PS3, just console modding in general, so keep that in mind haha :)

With something that draws that much power, you'll definitely want to look out for the C rating of the cells, explained in the first link.

You should always use some kind of regulator with a battery and not just wire the battery directly in. One, this regulation provides protection to the circuit so it doesn't get fried by too high (or too low) voltage, and two, it will increase the battery life of the portable because a regulator is made to work over the wide voltage range of a battery. However, in this case, you are already using the stock power regulators in the console, and these should work OK with a battery. For example, the stock Wii voltage regulators have been tested to work at much higher than 12v (see bottom link). You can do your own research or testing on the PS3 but it may be similar.
HOWEVER, the stock linear voltage regulators are not very efficient. The battery life of the portable will be greatly increased by using custom switching regulators, which is why board trimming and custom power management boards are a thing.

Short answer, battery to 12v should work (also it looks like there's a 5v line you'll need to power too?), but the current draw will be high and that may be a problem. Custom regulators will decrease power draw and increase battery life.

A random link I found:
EDIT: aha found shank's numbers on wii stock regs input voltage range: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...empt-at-pwii-various-questions.644/#post-6675

Last edited: