Discussion How about a Sticker?

How about a precut vinyl sticker or something like it to cover up the GPU and CPU, using the screw post holes as your guide to line it up. Since it would be the exact shape it needs to be to trim a Wii and it would protect the chips from dust and debris, it would make the trimming process (almost) idiot proof, no? Cut it, and sand to the edge of the sticker. Can even be different shapes and sizes for the various trims available. Boom done.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Sounds pretty neat, but I'd be concerned about cost... A vinyl sticker that size could potentially end up costing as much as the Wii itself, especially if it has to be precise like that

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
And honestly if you trace carefully and triple check your lines, the trim won't be an issue. People tend to have a harder time with the relocations than they do with the actually trim.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Naw vinyl is dirt cheap. At my University lab they charge $.25 per linear inch on a 22" wide roll, including transfer tape. So however many stickers you can fit in a 12" by 22" area would be $3. At my local makerspace its even cheaper. Im trained on vinyl cutters, and producing stickers like these would be little to no effort once we have a design, assuming they arent too detailed or have too many holes. The only think I would be curious about is how well they would stick, given there is no "flat surface" to stick to because of all the components on the board.

If there is interest in this, I could easily make them. Cost would be very low.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Naw vinyl is dirt cheap. At my University lab they charge $.25 per linear inch on a 22" wide roll, including transfer tape. So however many stickers you can fit in a 12" by 22" area would be $3. At my local makerspace its even cheaper. Im trained on vinyl cutters, and producing stickers like these would be little to no effort once we have a design, assuming they arent too detailed or have too many holes. The only think I would be curious about is how well they would stick, given there is no "flat surface" to stick to because of all the components on the board.

If there is interest in this, I could easily make them. Cost would be very low.
Thinking about it I could probably really use these. I probably fucked up like 2 LMAO trims just because I cut trough a bunch of nand traces. (I got both working at some point, but they broke again). I however don't see the point of using vinyl when with the help of the compendium 'designing' these would take about 5 minutes, and printing them on standard paper and taping it to the wii seems cheaper and about the same in function.