Hoenn National Pokedex Gameboy

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Update time!

v6 Assembled.jpg

It doesn't look like a huge difference, but everything fits in here now. I will be using a pi zero instead of a 3 because of space constraints. The driver board's caps make it too thick in some areas, so that left me with three options. I could relocate the caps, make the case thicker, or buy a pi zero and rearrange the components so that the "lumpy" side of the driver board was not directly on top of the battery.

I did quite a bit of minor tweaking to the case as well, but it's still not perfect :/

v6 Base.jpg

You can see here that I have put brackets for the L and R buttons into the case. The buttons work well when the case is closed and feel comfortable. I'm having some trouble with screwposts since a bottom left one is likely to interfere with the Start/Select buttons, but the deadline for this project is coming up so I need to get a move on :)

v6 Next To Gameboy.jpg

Gameboy for scale!

Things left to do:
-Put ports for the power switch, charging port, and volume buttons
-Add one more screwpost in the bottom left near Start/Select
-Paint the case
-Solder it up and assemble

I'll update again once the final case is printed

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Only a few more days to go! My goal is to have it all assembled and done on Friday, but we will see!

In the meantime, I finished the case design, Bondo'ed and sanded, and was just able to paint it before it started raining. Phew. What a day.
20180328_133023.jpg
20180328_133048.jpg

I uploaded the 3d models in case anyone wants to use them :) Thanks again to @Aurelio the 3ds slider holder design, and for drawing up the comparator diagram that I will (hopefully) be using for this project.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/hoenn-region-national-pokedex-gameboy.2029/#post-26134

Many thanks also go to @Gman for sending me a PAM8803 audio amp since the only sellers were in China and I wasn't sure I could wait on their shipping. I got the audio all hooked up and working today with no hiccups. :)

I rewired the battery to the its PCB and it is working great. It seems to be a really high quality battery pack and I'm happy with it. I loaded my games onto the Pi today as well and need to do some heat testing. It doesn't seem to get very warm, but I will leave it running for a bit and check with my IR temp gun tomorrow. I also made the switch to a USB SNES gamepad for controls instead of using GPIO pins.

Left to do:
-Wire up comparator to SNES DPAD
-Glue the white circle thing on
-Hook up tacts to SNES controller
-Wire up LCD

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I AM FINISHED!

20180331_185054.jpg

I don't really have much to add to this since it's pretty much just a pi 3 running retropie inside the printed shell :)

I like the 3ds slider (THANK YOU SO MUCH @Aurelio for the comparator pinout diagram!)

Also thank you @Gman for getting that audio amp to me :) it works perfectly.

I'm really glad to be done with this project and will be happy to go back to working on my MGC projects. Thanks for all of your advice and help everyone!

Obligatory pig memes:
20180331_164638.jpg

nobble

So @Madmorda sent me the Pokedex to bring with me to MGC 2018. I must say it looks so nice in person! It feels like a real Gameboy in hand, and the 3DS slider is interesting to use instead of a D-pad. Overall it really was built with quality for being under such a time crunch. I ended up fixing the size of the text so that it was legible, and made my own custom splash screen to replace the standard Retropie icon on boot. The results are pretty cool. I made a video showcasing the handheld and it's new upgrades! Now the Dex is fit for field use! Enjoy. :)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I was told not to touch it, so I didn't, then I saw other people handling it, now I'm sad

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
He was gone like half the time. Off looking for snacks I guess...

nobble

It did die and never get charged. I put it away after that. Oops.