Discussion Helpful Food Budgeting

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Now, first thing in first.

This may not always equate to the healthiest food choices. But these will help you maintain food in your home, whether it's just you in a studio, or you sharing a place with friends, or you with your own family.

First of all, DO NOT STOCK UP ON CUP OF NOODLE or TOP RAMEN.

Honestly they have too much salt, and frankly aren't even that filling.

The Actual Budgeting Help Information Things

Dry
Goods are your friends

-> Knorr brand Rice Sides and Pasta Sides are relatively cheap, usually being between 80¢ and 1.50$ depending where you shop.
1494353502994860173874.jpg

This the standard packaging, and 1 package is about 2 servings,or in my case 2 packs is one serving xD

Most of these only require some water and milk. Though butter and margarine may be listed on what's needed, it also says they are optional.

-> SpaghettiOs is another good one, usually being able to get the standard 16oz can for only 1$, and a single can is set as being two servings
1494353907818950510491.jpg

-> Canned Vegetables are a cheap, but actually healthy source of food as well
You can get them from 35¢ to 1.65$ for pricing of standard cans
14943540806231214632617.jpg

-> Condensed Soups can be good as well, and usually only require water or milk
1494354227147-1934143074.jpg

This can usually is a 3 serving can, and for generic brand costs between 85¢ and 1.70$ on average.

-> Beans usually are high in protein and are also cheap, and mostly easy to cook

14943547334921848301286.jpg

1494354586362-97966113.jpg

Bagged Beans are cheap as well and last a while, but require alot more work, usually including soaking them it water for anexcesnive amount of time

-> Pasta is of course another way to go. You can easily pick up a box of pasta between 1$ and 2$ on average
1494355018287389116366.jpg

-> Pasta Sauce for said pasta is also something that can be acquired cheaply in cans for only 1$ for Hunt's brand

MOAR WEEL BEE ADDED L8R

Considering I work as a manager in a grocery store I can say with certainty that this information is very accurate. For example a couple of weeks ago the *unnamed company that I work for* was working with a local news station to run a food drive.

We had 14-16 oz canned vegetables on sale for $0.62 usd each
We also had 1 pound boxes of pasta on sale for $1.00 usd each.

I decided to drop an little over 1 hours worth of my pay (you can do the math.... I'm not rich by any means) and was able to buy 15 cans of vegetables and 10 boxes of pasta (with my 5% associate discount) to donate to the food drive.

You should stock up on nonperishable items when they are on sale as they wont go bad any time soon. Pay attention to the sales week to week though as you will notice some patterns and you may get an opportunity for a cheaper sale. Also only purchase perishable items (dairy, produce, meats, and seafoods) when you need them, but look at the sales for them and plan your weekly meals ahead of time if you like to cook.

I would also say you could clip or *click* coupons but that's kind of cliche; although it is generally an alright idea if you are willing to spend the time on it.

Portables
Can confirm from experience. I had lots of dry goods, such as noodles and boullion to make stuff. It lasted throughout the week plus some while I was a missionary. I could add fresh stuff that I picked up to it, as well. You can find the right market that have baked goods at a decent price, too. The longer lasting non-perishables make to stretch the fresher stuff through the week.
I found fruits and veggies at deccent pricecs, again as already mentioned, lookout for those savings and sales. Don't be afraid of getting creative with your cooking either. I had some of those canned jalapeños in tuna sandwiches made with bolios, they were actually pretty good.

Wow. Best stumble-upon thread ever! I'm living on my own now and haven't caught the hang of it yet and I went the Ramen route every time to save money on groceries.

Not anymore lol.

Wish we had had home ec still.