Question Help with stock Wii motherboard

mattfy

So, I got this free Wii from a friend that I wanted to trim. He told me it didn't turn on but he didn't know if it was the console itself or the AC adapter, I hooked it up to my AC adapter and it did turn on for a while but suddenly turned off and stopped working. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in and the red LED does turn on but if I press the power button it turns yellow for a split of a second and then turns off again and won't do anything at all, I have to unplug the AC adapter and plug it back in to get the LED to turn red again but the console won't start at all. I already checked the fuse, swapped bluetooth and wifi modules from another console that works but still can't get it to turn on. I think it might be the voltage regulators but I'm not really sure how to test them, any idea how I can start troubleshooting the motherboard?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you provide clear photos of both sides of the board?

Did you remove these 2 boards? Or were they already gone when you disassembled the Wii?
InkedIMG_20220228_010953_LI.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can't see anything obvious............. I don't really know what to suggest

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The behavior you get is caused by the regulators going into protection, usually caused by some short on the board. It could also be one of the regs that got damaged due to a voltage spike or something similar. Try cleaning thoroughly the board with isopropyl alcohol and then try again. If this doesn't work either then your best option is to try removing the onboard regs and trying with a PMS or other external regulators

mattfy

The behavior you get is caused by the regulators going into protection, usually caused by some short on the board. It could also be one of the regs that got damaged due to a voltage spike or something similar. Try cleaning thoroughly the board with isopropyl alcohol and then try again. If this doesn't work either then your best option is to try removing the onboard regs and trying with a PMS or other external regulators
Ok so I gave it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol and it didn't work. I guess I'll have to hook it up to a PMS, I have to remove every single stock voltage regulator in the motherboard first, right?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ok so I gave it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol and it didn't work. I guess I'll have to hook it up to a PMS, I have to remove every single stock voltage regulator in the motherboard first, right?
yes

mattfy

Doing a follow up to this thread just in case someone finds this useful. I was about to remove all the voltage regulators from the motherboard when I saw something odd in the SD card slot, I did a thorough inspection and found out the SD slot had 2 pins bent backwards shorting against metal plate that covers the slot. I bent them back to their place and the console is now working fine, the SD card slot is damaged but can be replaced with some solder.

Doing a follow up to this thread just in case someone finds this useful. I was about to remove all the voltage regulators from the motherboard when I saw something odd in the SD card slot, I did a thorough inspection and found out the SD slot had 2 pins bent backwards shorting against metal plate that covers the slot. I bent them back to their place and the console is now working fine, the SD card slot is damaged but can be replaced with some solder.
If you are going to trim the boar anyways you don't need the SD card slot, rvloader installs on a USB drive anyways and there are multiple methods to jailbreak without using an SD card these days

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That's a new one................... onto the list of shit to check it goes