Question Help with GameCube Controller Troubleshooting

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I'm working on my GameCube Portable and I took an official GameCube controller board and cut it in half so I can have the buttons on either side of the portable.

I wired all the controls from both halves together and just about everything works except a couple issues.

I tested the controller with SSBM and had these three issues (I think all three may have the same root cause) :

1) When using a charge "B" move like Donkey Kong's punch, it will cancel the charge move as soon as I press B, so he'll start charging his punch for a fraction of a second and then stop.

2) When I jump, as soon as I land, the shield activates for a brief moment, and the goes away.

3) When I move using the joystick, the character doesn't walk, they roll as if the shield was activated with L or R, even though the shield wasn't active.

A couple side notes, I have the triggers set to neutral position, so they shouldn't be doing anything, and on the right half of the controller I didn't connect the R trigger data line, only the R trigger click. I wasn't planning on using the slider for the trigger.

Here is a picture of the controller

IMG_20180624_194038.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Connect the R potentiometer and see if that fixes the roll problem. I had a similar issue when I wired that pot wrong once before, the GC controller doesn't like bits being missing.

Did you sand the board and check for shorts before you wired it up?

Portables
Connect the R potentiometer and see if that fixes the roll problem. I had a similar issue when I wired that pot wrong once before, the GC controller doesn't like bits being missing.

Did you sand the board and check for shorts before you wired it up?
I did sand the board after I cut it and made sure it was smooth, but I'm not sure how to check for shorts. I guess I can just check the current across all the connections, is that the best way to do check for shorts?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I did sand the board after I cut it and made sure it was smooth, but I'm not sure how to check for shorts. I guess I can just check the current across all the connections, is that the best way to do check for shorts?
Nah, multimeter in resistance mode. Set it to 200ohm max and probe each line against the other nearby lines and ground. Anything <5 is a short. Controller should be disconnected from any consoles.

Portables
Nah, multimeter in resistance mode. Set it to 200ohm max and probe each line against the other nearby lines and ground. Anything <5 is a short. Controller should be disconnected from any consoles.
I wired up the r trigger pot and it fixed all the issue I was having, thanks a lot!