Solved Help please, Find the Short

BocuD

Portables
I think its your 1.8v line, kinda surprised no one mentioned it tbh. The LDO (the ic generating 1.8v) is powered by 3.3v, so if there were a short on 1.8v you'd see high current draw on 3.3v as well. Try measuring the resistance to gnd from this pad:
upload_2019-12-6_11-14-31.png

Portables
Once I get home today I’ll reply with the readings, and once I get the 22 gauge wire in Monday, I’ll hook those up to see if that was the problem, thanks Bocud!
I think its your 1.8v line, kinda surprised no one mentioned it tbh. The LDO (the ic generating 1.8v) is powered by 3.3v, so if there were a short on 1.8v you'd see high current draw on 3.3v as well. Try measuring the resistance to gnd from this pad:View attachment 9845

Portables
I think its your 1.8v line, kinda surprised no one mentioned it tbh. The LDO (the ic generating 1.8v) is powered by 3.3v, so if there were a short on 1.8v you'd see high current draw on 3.3v as well. Try measuring the resistance to gnd from this pad:View attachment 9845
Just checked it against grounds, It measures 36.1 ohms

Portables
Well, just wired it up using 22 gauge wire and it still does the same thing... anymore advice guys? Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Portables
When I disconnect the 1v wire, the 3,3v shows 2.9v and the 1.15v shows 1.15v

I feel like it’s not getting enough power to run all the regulators?

Also when I attach 12v to the charger, 3.3v is perfect, 1.15v is perfect but 1v shows up as 42 mv?

without the charger attached, all of the outputs show correct voltage but when all three are wired to the Wii, they drop to 0v

welp, fuck there’s goes another WiiPMS... i hit a cord and it pulled off the charge solder pad from the WiiPMS..

Last edited:

xsping

When I disconnect the 1v wire, the 3,3v shows 2.9v and the 1.15v shows 1.15v

I feel like it’s not getting enough power to run all the regulators?

Also when I attach 12v to the charger, 3.3v is perfect, 1.15v is perfect but 1v shows up as 42 mv?

without the charger attached, all of the outputs show correct voltage but when all three are wired to the Wii, they drop to 0v

welp, fuck there’s goes another WiiPMS... i hit a cord and it pulled off the charge solder pad from the WiiPMS..
maybe you can scratch the rest route and solder, wiipms is not cheap

Portables
I just do not understand what I’m doing wrong, like why are the WiiPMS outputs never staying the same?

Noah

retired
Portables
This indicates there's still a short somewhere. What values do you get on the PMS with nothing wired to the Wii powering from just the batteries? That should help to shine a light in the right direction.

Portables
This indicates there's still a short somewhere. What values do you get on the PMS with nothing wired to the Wii powering from just the batteries? That should help to shine a light in the right direction.
All the outputs read exactly correct when the wiipms is not wired to the Wii and only connected to batteries sir

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
With the solder pad gone on that spot, how would I be able to solder the composite wire on? Thanks!
Oh you ripped it off? Check the Wii trimming guide, there's a diagram showing the entire run of all the video lines. You can use it to find a place to solder the wire to.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That'll work. Just be careful not to rip that one off as well, or you'll be in trouble.

Portables
Since I’m pretty sure the problem lies within the Wii motherboard, I just restarted from scratch. Just relocated the u10 chip and made sure it works, also I’m going to video most of it so if something doesn’t work it’ll be easier to get help or if it does work, I’ll post it on YouTube as a guide

Portables
This is comical XD I still can’t get it to work, the wiipms refuses to continuously output the voltages! I started from scratch, made sure the u10 worked, cut the board, sanded it up to 1000 grit sandpaper, hooked it up, and same thing as before!
Any advice would be loved

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
Ok just setup each voltage to a power switch to narrow down the problem and it seems that 1v and 1.15v can operate individually and together but once i introduce 3.3v, the wiipms shuts off. How can I track down the 3.3v voltage to find where the short is?