Question Help Me build a n64p

Gcole6

Will Anyone Help Me Build A N64 Portable I've been watching MODDEDBYBACTERIA videos and Downing's videos and they are good but don't help as much The main problem For me is they controller and batteries I know people are viewing these but don't reply can you please help like isn't a forum supposed to help people any plz help me and bye

Last edited:

Luke

Portables
Try asking specific questions, instead of just, "will anyone help me". I mean... yeah, I could give you guidance with your project, but what kind of answer are you expecting from that^^

Also, punctuate your sentences so they're easier to read.

Gcole6

Try asking specific questions, instead of just, "will anyone help me". I mean... yeah, I could give you guidance with your project, but what kind of answer are you expecting from that^^

Also, punctuate your sentences so they're easier to read.
My Main questions are How Do I Wire the batteries (fp f550)? And how do I wire a charging port. Also how to wire tact switches to the controller.

Last edited:

Luke

Portables
This thread shows where to connect voltage:
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-get-3-3v-for-your-n64p.53/

I've never used those batteries so someone else can confirm, but they should work with this charge port / charge-and-play diagram (your battery won't look the same but the rest of the diagram should be applicable):
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/charge-and-play.334/

For tact switches, you are essentially replacing the switches (buttons) from the controller with switches of your own. All you have to do is locate the corresponding trace that runs through the button on your controller, solder a wire to that trace, and instead route the line through your tact switch. I can maybe make a quick diagram if you need it.

Gcole6

Ok thx, a diagram for the controller would be epic also what is this (view my image)

Attachments

Luke

Portables
It's a protection circuit for individual cells, but you have a battery pack with cells and protection circuit built in, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Gcole6

Do you have any idea on how to use the battery chargers for the battery as the holder for them and power the system? In easy I mean can I use the Chargers to power the n64 with batteries

Gcole6

Anyway thank u so much I subbed to u, also if u have a controller diagram that would be good. And I'm basing mine on your first one. What's a good battery you recommend for me?

Last edited:

Luke

Portables
A guide is coming for n64 portablizing, but in the meantime, googling something like "n64 controller pinout" should give you what you're looking for. And are you changing batteries or what? If you are, I'd just go with 2 lipo cells and a 7.4v protection circuit (each cell is 3.7v). That's the "norm" for portablizing.

Gcole6

Thanks and all but I was going to try to make a portable based on ur first one I found a battery that looks the same but what part do I need to wire? Are there ground and power inside the cord that connects to the battery here is the battery http://www.ebay.com/itm/381518468917 also what's the best protection circuit for batteries

Luke

Portables
That thing has a pcb inside it, you don't need an extra one. It has two ports, charging port, and voltage out.

I can't recommend that thing to anyone in good conscience. It's really big, and you could easily get cheaper batteries that are the same capacity and half the size.

Gcole6

What battery do you recommend also where do I buy a charger port?

Luke

Portables
I'd just go with 2 lipo cells and a 7.4v protection circuit (each cell is 3.7v). That's the "norm" for portablizing.

Noah

retired
Portables
What kind of wire? Voltages and video/audio signal should have different types of wire but IDE should be fine for everything else. They sell it in huge rolls on eBay.

Gcole6

What kind of wire? Voltages and video/audio signal should have different types of wire but IDE should be fine for everything else. They sell it in huge rolls on eBay.
I need wire for every thing so should I just use Ide for everything or I need to get specific wires for the voltage video and audio

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah IDE is good for most stuff. You can get away with using it for lower voltages (3V3, etc) but you should use thicker wire for higher voltages. Audio and video should use shielded wire to avoid interference.

Gcole6

Ok thank you for everything but what is the best case to use without trimming the mobo

Noah

retired
Portables
Most cases of "handheld" size will require minimal trimming. Trimming isn't as scary as it may seem; even the most basic of trims can save a lot of space in a unit.

The easiest one without trimming would be the N64 shell itself.
2vt8io3.jpg

This one (courtesy of Basement_Modder) is only one example. Several people (including myself!) have used the shell as a case. It's the perfect one to start out with in my opinion. I think @bud even made a couple of them in the original shell as well.