Hello! I am a new member and I have some questions.

Portables
Hello,

So as you can probably tell I am a new member (just joined today). I am very interested in building a Wii portable of my own design over the summer. However, I also really don't want to be in over my head and have this be a complete failure. I do have some prior experience as this last summer I built a robot with everything from scratch except for the electronics, a raspberry pi, and a plastic plate for the chassis (I 3d printed the wheels and the motor mount). I have also repaired and sold some Wiis on eBay this year (although that was mostly just replacing the disc drive). I am fairly knowledgeable in programming (I have the APCS test in a month) although I do not know how much that will help me.

Anywho my questions (a lot of these are continuations of each other sorry):

1) If I wanted to make a Wii portable sorta like the switch without the joycons, would the software bot (as there will be no controller hooked up to it)?
2) If it does boot, then is it correct for me to assume that if I re-add the Bluetooth module, Wii remotes will hook up (I read part of the guide but I just want clarification as this is a big part) and a wireless sensor bar will work?
3) Would there be any way at all for me to still hook up a Gamecube controller as there will be no access to the controller ports?
4) Really dumb and specific question but will when the software boots up and I connect the Wii remote, will I be able to just use the d-pad to navigate or will I have to hook up a sensor bar and set back five feet?
5) When I go to design and build this, would it be the most logical to use the already available g-boy rev3 guild for the trimming and wiring (although I will probably purchase the components individually)?

Thank you for reading this absurdly long post and have a great day. :)

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
1) If I wanted to make a Wii portable sorta like the switch without the joycons, would the software bot (as there will be no controller hooked up to it)?
No controller is required for a Wii to boot.

2) If it does boot, then is it correct for me to assume that if I re-add the Bluetooth module, Wii remotes will hook up (I read part of the guide but I just want clarification as this is a big part) and a wireless sensor bar will work?
Correct

3) Would there be any way at all for me to still hook up a Gamecube controller as there will be no access to the controller ports?
Yes, read the guides and other members build logs

4) Really dumb and specific question but will when the software boots up and I connect the Wii remote, will I be able to just use the d-pad to navigate or will I have to hook up a sensor bar and set back five feet?
BBloader does not currently support Wiimotes in the main menu so a GC controller will be required for that part, you can still enable Wiimote control in Wii games however.

5) When I go to design and build this, would it be the most logical to use the already available g-boy rev3 guild for the trimming and wiring (although I will probably purchase the components individually)?
The G-boy build instructions are a very good set of instructions to follow for the majority of your build.