Hardest part about modding?

So I was just wondering for a lot of you, what's the hardest thing you had to do with modding? In my opinion, it's managing with the GC motherboard, but what about you guys? Would it be controls, installing a screen to go with your portable, or anything else?

Give me your opinion!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
m'dick

Noah

retired
Portables
Case work. Whether you're 3D modeling a case or frankencasing it's a pain in the ass no matter how you approach it. Some methods are significantly easier than others but all of them are equally as annoying.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I agree with @Noah and I would have to add that I think the biggest pain when it comes to portablizing is how much money and time spent waiting on parts for things. This definitely isn't a crazy expensive hobby but it can take a toll. Especially if you are like me and botch up a few N64 motherboards because you don't know anything. Plus if you take into account all the tools you need to get, it can be quite an initial buy in.

On the other hand, having a portable console is dope.

Herma

Case work. Whether you're 3D modeling a case or frankencasing it's a pain in the ass no matter how you approach it. Some methods are significantly easier than others but all of them are equally as annoying.
Obv gotta just commit for the molds and go straight injection molding, bruh. Because everyone here obviously wants to mass-produce portables.

I've never personally made a portable but I'd guess, like Noah, I would think it would be the casework. The electronics portion should be pretty easy overall given how many boards I've had to modify at work.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
modeling is my jam so I'd rather spend 200hours designing, printing retooling and printing again then spend 10 minutes frankencasing.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
"It works but I don't know why."
"It doesn't work and I don't know why."
I think the hardest part is troubleshooting. I might spend twenty minutes trying to figure out why a part isn't working, only to realize that a wire I checked twice had come undone. It can be maddening.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
"It works but I don't know why."
"It doesn't work and I don't know why."
I think the hardest part is troubleshooting. I might spend twenty minutes trying to figure out why a part isn't working, only to realize that a wire I checked twice had come undone. It can be maddening.
That's definitely a good point!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Troubleshooting is a developed skill. Eventually you get really good at it, and you end up paying more attention to the things you're doing while you're doing them so that it's easier to take a few steps back sometimes.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Troubleshooting is a developed skill.
Sometimes all it takes is a really good lesson. When building a SNESp, I killed 2 boards and no amount of backtracking would fix either.
Lesson learned: test. every. single. step. of. the. way.

Hardest part about modding for me is case making and finding that happy medium between "I want it to look perfect" and "Screw it I'm done".