Worklog Gwi/gboy work log for a noob

I'm new to the gboy/gwii thing I dont know for sure which one I should try to build pls leave a coment for wich one is the best to build for beginers. But I am going to update and post stuff here and Im going to put stuff like triming the wii and starting the build thanks for giving me your time.

tldr I want to know wich is better for beginirs gboy or g wii

here is a link to the parts for the gwii feel free to comment on it for things i need to change

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
In my opinion they are both great beginner builds. The gboy has full guide and there are plenty of worklogs/streams of the gwii. I would choose whichever you like best

Ok thank you

I personally think the gwii looks better but do you have any specific places I could go to look on how to build one or if I could follow the guide for the gboy for the gwii

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Depends on the level of complexity you want to start with.

The GBoy has nearly all the materials you need bundled in a kit, you just supply the Wii, li-ion batteries, DS lite buttons, and microSD card yourself. There's a step by step assembly guide for it, and it's kinda like putting a model together. This is the easiest option.

The GWii is a larger build, and you need to gather all the parts for it yourself from the list. There's no step by step guide for it, but you can find all the info needed to wire everything in the Wii trimming guide, other GWii worklogs, and Gman's streams. The case is pretty well laid out and you have heaps of space to learn in, plus the Gamecube controller sticks and buttons are nicer to use IMO. The GWii is a more intermediate option compared to the GBoy.

Whichever way you go, you can make a worklog here and ask any questions you need.

If building a gwii do I need to install coustum regulators when trimming if im using the rvl pms for the gwii

Ok thank you last question for the night so when I trim the wii all I need to do is relocate the u 10
I might no see your responses untill the morning so thanks for all your help so far.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
In terms of hardware, yes. be sure to install BBLoader before doing any trimming an make sure to enable the no-wifi patches.

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
you could probably get away with using the g boy guide even when building a g wii, a lot of the steps are similar

buzzyc

The MX and Bluetooth can also be relocated, those these are optional and more difficult.
Without bluetooth you cannot use wiimotes (may be a null point, just make sure all settings are configured in the Wii menu like Video type, screen size etc ahead of the trim)
Without MX you cannot play some VC or games that require the realtime clock, such as animal crossing.

In terms of worklogs, when building my G-Wii I referenced Some streams on the BitBuilt YouTube, as well as using an old Worklog with a tonne of close up shots by ToddyHD (whom I think is now StonedEdge?)
Worklog - G-Wii: My First Electronics Project | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

Its dated in terms of components used (ie no PMS or USB C board), but the foundations are the same, he shows very high res close ups which helps for novice wiring, and more importantly stepped through some of the issues he faced along the way, which can really help when you are starting out. Don't assume it will go perfectly smoothly end to end.

Portables
1 (Aran)
you could probably get away with using the g boy guide even when building a g wii, a lot of the steps are similar
Thats what i've done for building the aran portable, theres quite a bit of stuff in the gboy manual that is the same for building a g-wii