Worklog Greasy Idiot's First Portable (WIP)

Portables
Hey everyone!
I decided it would be a good idea to start a worklog, since I only have a vague idea of what I'm doing and this is gonna require a lot of help. I'm hoping this worklog will help out those of you willing to help me out.

Features:
- 5.6" Screen
- OM6 Trim (unless there's a trim more suitable for beginners. U10 Relo is proving to be quite the challenge)
- 3DS Buttons and Sliders (thanks to Madmorda and Jeff for their models)
- GC+ (+ other community made boards when the shop opens up again?)
- 3D Printed Case
- probably a lot of spaghetti wiring and super glue ("it's a feature")

No idea what I'm gonna do for batteries. That seems to be the one thing that's stumping me rn, as I have no idea how they work.

Here are some pictures of the case thus far:

Front Panel

Back Panel

It's nowhere near finished, as I still need to add tons of things. It's not bad for now, though. Just a little rough around the edges, considering the fact that I made it in Tinkercad.

For the ABXY and D-Pad, I’ll be using these New 3DS XL boards:

I'm pretty sure Madmorda used these in her Wii S Lite, but I'm not sure how she did it. I have no idea where I can solder to on these :P

That's all for now. I'll be posting here often with various progress updates and dumb questions.
I've attached the case files if anybody want's to take a closer look and let me know of certain issues and whatnot.
Thank you so much for the help you guys have already given me. I know I've been asking for a lot of it. This community is so amazing.

Attachments

Last edited:
You could do the blocky logo like this:hqdefault.jpg

It would add a good amount of reinforcement.

Portables
You could do the blocky logo like this:View attachment 6230

It would add a good amount of reinforcement.
Took me a while to figure out what you were saying. That’s an interesting idea. I think I’ll look for alternatives to the GameCube logo for now though, as that would be hard to model.
Maybe a P for Puff in some cool font? Idk.

Portables
Are you going to set it up with progressive scan?
Is it bad that I have no idea what you mean by that?

Are you going to set it up with progressive scan?
Just googled it. We’ll see how bad interlaced scanning looks on my screen. If it’s that bad, I’ll go for progressive, though I’m not sure how to set it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portables
Destroyed both the U10 and the U9, and possibly screwed up the solder pads under where the U5 was, so I've ordered a new Wii MOBO. While I wait for it to arrive, I've been working on the case a bit more, specifically the backside:

Here you can see I've added two screen holes and moved the fan hole to the middle. I was originally going to use the one speaker I had, but it's foking massive so I've decided to ditch it.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.05.17 PM.png

Here you can see I've added screw holes for a GC+ board and a PowerMii board. I plan on working on this portable for a long time, so it makes sense to have screw holes for a PowerMii board for when they're released.

I thought it might be a good idea to ask if this looks fatal, since if it is, I'll have to reinstall PortabalizeMii on the new Wii MOBO:
IMG_7354.jpg

Is this as bad as it looks, or is my Wii fine? It seems like those solder pads are totally gone, since I can't tin them.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
No it's not fatal. The pads are entirely unnecessary, and only serve as convenience. You could wire everything to the pins on the chip if you were so inclined. The pads that were destroyed were the pad for the U10 output (the pad is not connected to anything after the trace is cut, so just wire your U10 wire to the chip itself) and a gnd pad. So as long as the group of three pins are soldered together and have a connection to gnd you're fine.

Portables
Destroyed a FOURTH U10 last night. I’m probably the only person to have screwed up the U10 relocation this badly :XD:
Luckily a new Wii my friend gave me finally came. Probably going to completely start over. This Wii MOBO has too much frustration packed with it. Only issue is I can’t find the SD card I used the first time to install PortabilizeMii.
Barely any progress is being made. I’m just having issue after issue, and I just need to buy more and more shit. It’s super discouraging. It might help to finish the case and order it.

Portables
What are you doing when they break/how are they breaking?
Pins keep coming off. I try to be gentle with them.
Last night I actually finally got one perfectly in place! My magnet wire came today, so I’m hoping I can finally get this relocation working properly.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Are you using a iron with a temperature control or just the one that plugs straight into the wall?

Portables
Got something in the mail today
650D747C-B4EB-4C5F-917A-98E2F1A6B08B.jpeg

AA6F2B67-6BAE-4EE2-A355-6007102EBD7C.jpeg

It came out perfectly! I’ll definitely be ordering from Shapeways again.

I tested how the screen and 3ds stick fit, and they fit perfectly.
A186FE95-27A2-4F5A-B647-8B34137B5C85.jpeg

Not sure about the dpad and face buttons, since the people I ordered the original 3ds buttons from sent me New 3ds XL buttons TWICE (and yes I ordered the original 3ds ones).

Keep in mind that this is just the first revision. I fully expect that I will need update it and get it reprinted at some point down the road. For now, it’s nice to have it in real life for a sense of size.
Oh yeah the button placements feel great too.

Dude I got mine from shapeways also, I thought i recognized that plastic lol I think they do an awesome job. Fyi I dont know if this will apply to your case or not but you can use your soldering iron to melt into it pretty easily. In my case I melted in brass screw post helicoil inserts. Your dpad, buttons, and slider guides came out awesome. I regret not properly modeling all of that into mine but I'm getting it all to fit alright so for the next one I def. Will do that the right way to make it easier. Looks great though.

20180703_192452.jpg

Last edited:
Portables
Dude I got mine from shapeways also, I thought i recognized that plastic lol I think they do an awesome job. Fyi I dont know if this will apply to your case or not but you can use your soldering iron to melt into it pretty easily. In my case I melted in brass screw post helicoil inserts. Your dpad, buttons, and slider guides came out awesome. I regret not properly modeling all of that into mine but I'm getting it all to fit alright so for the next one I def. Will do that the right way to make it easier. Looks great though.

View attachment 6591
I used Jeff and Madmorda's models for the buttons guides and stuff. Here they are for future reference:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/jeffs-assortment-of-various-models.1657/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/3ds-button-holes-models.1652/