Worklog Gman's MGC64 thing

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I tried out a PIF relocation the other day and to my delight it actually worked! More PIF relocation testing will be done but I'm hopeful it will make it into a new trimming guide to be released this year(tm).

20200111_110532.jpg

After that I started thinking about a cool portable that I would use this motherboard in and since MGC is getting closer, that will be my deadline for unveiling.

I always thought it would be awesome to make an N64 portable with a fully enclosed cartridge slot, But how about an N64 cartridge fully enclosed by an N64 cartridge??

The model is close to being functional, I have a few more things to work out before I can start a test print.

n64s1.png

n64s2.png

n64s3.png

Holy moly, looks awesome. Is this what you you were working on during the stream the other day? What were you doing to the underside of the board, looks like you attached a component but I couldn't identify it.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Holy moly, looks awesome. Is this what you you were working on during the stream the other day? What were you doing to the underside of the board, looks like you attached a component but I couldn't identify it.
On stream I was experimenting with cutting further into that motherboard. I relocated the clock generator circuit. It booted just once but hasn't since. It is the high frequency clock for the rambus which is very finicky apparently. I probably won't try it again. The pif relocation is a good sized chunk off the board already.

awesome design gman. i need lessons of how to design a clamshell console hahaha.

This is pretty much my childhood dream come true. Amazing design, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Fine. Go ahead and put the rest of us to shame.

No, it's cool. There are still a few moments out of every day when the uncompleted remains of my 64p work-in-progress don't haunt me.

The fact that you'll probably get this finished before I get done with mine is both motivation to get going and demoralising at the same time. Please tell me you don't have kids Gman.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
totally sick dude!.. wondering how are you going to keep this hot boi cool?

Portables
None yet
This is a really cool concept! I can play Star Fox 64 on the go! What a age to live upon on!

--post merge--

Perhaps teaching me about modelling would be cool, or a direct link.

--moderator note: please use the edit button if you are going to double post in the same day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noah

retired
Portables
There are plenty of tutorials for 3D CAD modeling online. Gman uses solidworks but there are other programs available such as Fusion 360 or Autodesk Inventor that are able to be used for designing a case for a portable.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I got digital audio amp working on the N64.

I used the U-AMP along with a PLL IC and some additional code on the PIC. The N64 digital audio does not have an I2S master clock. Things get even weirder that the audio sampling frequency can be set arbitrarily in the game. Some games can be different frequencies and it can even change mid game! This makes it difficult to use a static digital audio config since once the sampling frequency changes, the audio will stop working. So what I did: Use a PLL to generate the master clock signal referenced from the word select signal. The master clock is set to be 512 times word select, then I can use a static config for the LM49450 and it should be compatible with any sampling frequency the N64 spits out.

Digital audio along with UltraVGA will allow me to trim off the MAV-NUS and the n64 can be powered entirely from 3.3v!

20200125_155746.jpg

Best picture, best audio, cool form factor. This is absolutely smashing it. I think a version without the cartridge slot and with a hard wired everdrive would be really cool.