no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well, it's been four months, so here's an update:
20180110_181200.jpg

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the project remains mostly in the same spot it was in October. Everything works great except for the GC controller. Shank did me a favor and sent me a new one that he wasn't ready to use yet, and it worked perfectly. It was midnight, so I went to bed, got up the next morning, ran to Lowes to grab some slightly shorter screws to finally close it up and when I got back the controller was dead in the water. No response from anything. Tried a whole bunch of different things, got it revived for a short period of time, and then it went back to doing nothing. Everything else is fully functional though. It's so close...

I've gone ahead and ordered a programming kit for the microcontroller on the GC+. I'll see if that fixes my problem, but f it doesn't then I'll try ordering a couple new microcontrollers and replacing the ones on the current board.

The WaluWiigi may have given up on me, but I haven't given up on it!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Let's flash back to a year ago:

The plan in February of 2017 was a GC portable. An untrimmed board, no audio, and a disc drive. The plan was to build a portable that worked, and then just stop coming to BitBuilt. I would have what I wanted, so why hang around?

Unfortunately for my wallet, you guys turned out to be pretty cool. I got talked into the Wii, I got a lot of help, and now I'm in a very different position than I was a year ago.

I have some bad news. I have decided to give up on the WaluWiigi. My free time has shrunk drastically, and I can no longer justify working on a project that I can't fix without potentially replacing everything. From here on out, I've screwed the WaluWiigi shut and I am not going to open it for quite some time. Fixing the controller has proven to be too much of a headache, since I recently had my third GC+ die on me even though I added output caps to the PTHs. The issue is likely with the Wii motherboard, but I don't really want to get into the mess that that'll be. It should suffice to say that an oscilloscope revealed that the GC+ is sending out signals even though it seems dead, but the Wii isn't picking them up. My issues with a controller just keep getting more and more confusing, and I'm tired of banging my head against a wall.

So here it is:

20180218_130458.jpg
20180218_130328.jpg
20180218_130301.jpg

IMG_2651.JPG

This project has a beautiful name, mediocre outsides, and abominable insides.

The fact that everything works except for the GC controller is awful. Thankfully, Wiimotes still work with it, so I've been able to play my favorite Wii games on this thing whenever I've wanted to a total of zero times.

From here on out, I'll be investing the bulk of my time in the Waker, as well as a smaller side project I'll be starting on soon.

And now I want to take a moment to thank some of you for being amazing people. This project would have been so far out of reach for me without your help.

@ShockSlayer for offering his Wii trimming service which helped give this project the kickstart it needed to really take off.

@Matthew for helping with the 3D printing side of things and helping me adjust to using a normal printer.

@Madmorda for helping with advice on painting, and not killing me when I made the dumb decision of being selective with which advices I took.

@Aurelio for being a great help with all things technical, pizza, and GC+. I'm sorry I killed so many of your babies :(

@Shank for being an amazing amount of support and help throughout this whole project. You're the guy who send me U10s when I was a noob doomed to failure. You stayed up with me at 2AM your time to help me troubleshoot a screen I killed. You helped me get the back half of my case printed after I ruined two other pieces. You're amazing.

Seriously, everyone here is awesome. Whether you've roasted me for sucking at GC+ing, asked questions that I learned from, or just posted memes everywhere I really appreciate you. And most importantly, y'all have helped me to find a love in electronics that I don't think I could hope to find anywhere else.

I love portablizing.

I love BitBuilt.

I love everyone here. even you jeff

Thanks guys.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've been able to play my favorite Wii games on this thing whenever I've wanted to a total of zero times.
I think we've all been here.

I'm really sorry about the WaluWiigi :( it really sucks that the controller is still having issues. Honestly though it's probably better to move on to new projects rather than rebuild one from scratch (I speak from experience lol). I'm excited to see what your new project is too

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Well I've heard there was a project plan
Dreamt up by this one red-haired man
But Shank said you don't want a GameCube, do ye?
Now it's Wii because convinced he was,
The modder named GingerOfOz
Started his long work on WaluWiigi

WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi

Well his faith was strong in his modding skill
He chopped his board as modders will
But that six-layered board was not to be.
Needing a working four-layer
He invoked the name of ShockSlayer
Commissioned a working trim for WaluWiigi

WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi

Then Ginger started on his case
A 3D print with a purple face
And on its back of course what should there be?
A simple shape to grace the shell
Waluigi's trademark upturned 'L'
The perfect vent hole shape for WaluWiigi

WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi

Well some damage irreversible
Caused issues, now his portable
Is known as GC+ killer, you see.
To death more IC chips did go
Which angered poor Aurelio
Who placed a fateful curse on WaluWiigi

WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi

This is the tale of the purple prince
Who rose to moderator since
And forsook GameCube for the better Wii.
And it's not a "WAH!" you hear at night
For IR LEDS they work alright
So Wii games work just fine on WaluWiigi

WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi
WaluWiigi