Worklog Gex's first Mega Drive Portable

Gex

So as the title suggests, I came up with a concept for a Mega Drive Portable.

I may use a Genesis Model 3 that’s been region modded, although it seems more likely that I will use a MegaRetron, as the Mobo is much smaller and would be much easier to work with. There will be 4 18650 Cells inside the system which should give it a sufficient battery life For extended play sessions.
All components be contained in a custom designed case made from Acrylic and 3D Printed Components, with a 3.5” 4:3 Display

I may consider building in an Everdrive Unit as it may simplify things but it could also just give me a headache, I don’t really know yet.

This is a completely impractical and probably not a great way to play all these games, as I could just install an emulator onto my PSP, but original hardware is king, and emulation smells bad so Portable it is.

It may be quite some time before I can give any real updates on the project as I haven’t really done much planning at all, but I do intend on doing this, so if this peaked your interest and I haven’t said anything about it in a few weeks, the project wasn‘t abandoned, don’t worry.

Last edited:
I've been thinking on something similar but going down a different route. I think something like a kit could be done using easily available parts and a custom shell with my method. The Hyperkin MegaRetron HD has a very small mainboard, a separate HDMI/AV board, runs off 5v, can play Genesis/Megadrive cartridges(including everdrives) and Master system roms, although at the lower pal region refresh rate. I figure a Raspberry Pi HDMI compatible 5 inch screen could be used with it and since the MegaRetron HD comes with a decent controller there's no need to buy anything else separate except your battery. I realize that this doesn't cover 32x games but it gets you most of the way there. Here's a decent overview of it.

Gex

I've been thinking on something similar but going down a different route. I think something like a kit could be done using easily available parts and a custom shell with my method. The Hyperkin MegaRetron HD has a very small mainboard, a separate HDMI/AV board, runs off 5v, can play Genesis/Megadrive cartridges(including everdrives) and Master system roms, although at the lower pal region refresh rate. I figure a Raspberry Pi HDMI compatible 5 inch screen could be used with it and since the MegaRetron HD comes with a decent controller there's no need to buy anything else separate except your battery. I realize that this doesn't cover 32x games but it gets you most of the way there. Here's a decent overview of it.
An interesting idea. I haven't done all too much planning for this portable, so the Retron may be a better option, as looking at Teardowns of the Retron the motherboard is much smaller than the Model 3, and seems more robust. Thanks for the note.

An interesting idea. I haven't done all too much planning for this portable, so the Retron may be a better option, as looking at Teardowns of the Retron the motherboard is much smaller than the Model 3, and seems more robust. Thanks for the note.
No problem at all. I have a clone Nomad from Japan but the screen is only 2.5 inches and my old eyes would like something bigger.

Reactions: Gex