GC64 - N64 Controller on Wii/GC

J3f

After a few weeks of hard work and waiting for shipments to arrive I can finally enjoy WiiVC titles with a hybrid N64 Gamecube controller. It combines the N64 controller with a 3d printed housing for the gamecube's C Stick and analog stick gate. I also threw on a Nunchuk thumbstick cap to perfectly emulate the tall stick of the N64. The rumble motor sits in a 3d printed housing that fits in the expansion slot adding a bit of heft to N64 controller. The trickiest part was implementing the C button to C stick circuit after overcoming a bout of circuits dyslexia and resoldering traces after lifting half a dozen pads, but alls well that ends well. Lastly, I paracorded the cable while I was at it. I present my perfect N64 controller using a GC+ 2.0 and all first party Nintendo parts.

I have included a wiring guide, but this mod certainly isn't for the inexperienced or faint of heart. Much plastic was trimmed from the inside of the case to make everything fit. I plan on making a drop in board (think GCC+) that doesn't require heavy modification to the original pcb once the Configurator allows for button remapping as has been promised. I would also like to make a kit with all the required 3d printed parts and jigs to go along with the drop in replacement board.

GC64 Front.jpg

GC64 Back.jpg

PCB Front.jpg

PCB Back.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
(have two in production behind the scenes)
Amazing, I can see myself actually having fun implementing this inside a Wii portable. Basically my plan is to have four controller ports, four of these, and all put into a pluggable dock. I'll ask ginger if he'll unbanned my other account 6100m on the discord so I can release beta builds and design files with my little dock over on the discord, and a crap ton of projects I've been doing, a quite large pile of em. However, and I do apologize if misunderstand, if that bottom pic shows a custom pcb, I recommend 2 layer. having a one layer, well it just looks off :P Nevertheless however, I would be more than happy to help you out with the drop-in board too or tutor ya <3
O and one more thing, be careful with n64 deadzone, it's a bit sensitive + some third party joysticks that I have seen don't replicate the deadzone all too well, so be sure to replicate that well :D
Ciao,
-6100m / alias/alter ego: pikapark201

Last edited:

J3f

Amazing, I can see myself actually having fun implementing this inside a Wii portable. Basically my plan is to have four controller ports, four of these, and all put into a pluggable dock. I'll ask ginger if he'll unbanned my other account 6100m on the discord so I can release beta builds and design files with my little dock over on the discord, and a crap ton of projects I've been doing, a quite large pile of em. However, and I do apologize if misunderstand, if that bottom pic shows a custom pcb, I recommend 2 layer. having a one layer, well it just looks off :P Nevertheless however, I would be more than happy to help you out with the drop-in board too or tutor ya <3
O and one more thing, be careful with n64 deadzone, it's a bit sensitive + some third party joysticks that I have seen don't replicate the deadzone all too well, so be sure to replicate that well :D
Ciao,
-6100m / alias/alter ego: pikapark201
No custom PCB, it's the Cstick PCB from a Gamecube controller, if you've never cracked one open, it actually comes on it's own PCB. The dead zone can be configured in software to personal preference, I use a value of 3 giving me virtually no deadzone. The stick isn't anything like a real N64 controller's, it's much lighter and the gate is a true octagon vs. the N64's eccentric diagonals (Spin Attacks are much easier to performs). All parts are sourced from a first party Gamecube Controller and the stick cap comes from a Nunchuk.

I'm enjoying using this one of a kind controller right now, but if you want me to get to work on the drop in PCB ask Aurelio to update the configurator with button remapping and button to C stick options. No point in working on it until I know it'll work with all the Virtual Console titles with their odd individual button mappings.