Solved GC+ Thumb sticks not working at all.

Hey guys,

I feel as though I am having the worst luck with these two GC+ boards I ordered. This time, the issue is on the wii and they do not work at all. I know my wiring is good. The board has been updated using Controller Config. I confirmed that they work with an external controller. I wired up a junk board OG gamecube board that I have lying around and they worked with that board, unfortunately I can't just use this board because it is too big, even trimmed.

I'm starting to think I got a bad batch. I've made over a dozen portables before and I've never had any issue with thumbsticks until I tried using the GC+. For what it's worth, neither GC+ board I have works.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Post a picture of all the wiring?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It still helps to be able to see the Wii and everything wired to it. Someone might spot a short you missed.

It still helps to be able to see the Wii and everything wired to it. Someone might spot a short you missed.
All voltages are the appropriate readings. There is no continuity between ground and any of the voltages either nor is there for any of the input signals. Given the testing I've done I am sure that the problem is the board. Just like it was in my portable Gamecube a month ago which I ended up swapping for an og controller board that worked.

Here's the pictures you requested. All of the wiring is clean.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
NEVERMIND ONCE AGAIN I AM RETARDED

Last edited:
No I'm not. The 3.3v line is running point to point from the regulator to up to the jtag 3.3v input on the gc+. The board has power and ground. Were either one the issue, none of the buttons would work.

Here it is circled. Ground is directly below it.

Last edited:
Okay, so I went ahead and hooked the boards up to my test wii to try upgrading them there and that fixed the issue.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Okay, so I went ahead and hooked the boards up to my test wii to try upgrading them there and that fixed the issue.
I was about to answer before you posted. Anyway this is a black one, so it means it's one of the batch I assembled. All the boards have been fully tested before packing them.

Apparently your issue was caused by a bad upgrade of the firmware. Next time something like this happens try to turn the system on while holding X+Y+Z. This puts the GC+ in safe mode, which means that it uses the stock 1.0 firmware (or 1.1 in the latest batches), from there you can then upgrade again the firmware.
Sometimes issues can also be related to miscalibration of the sticks. You can reset the calibration by holding X+Y+A before turning the system on

I was about to answer before you posted. Anyway this is a black one, so it means it's one of the batch I assembled. All the boards have been fully tested before packing them.

Apparently your issue was caused by a bad upgrade of the firmware. Next time something like this happens try to turn the system on while holding X+Y+Z. This puts the GC+ in safe mode, which means that it uses the stock 1.0 firmware (or 1.1 in the latest batches), from there you can then upgrade again the firmware.
Sometimes issues can also be related to miscalibration of the sticks. You can reset the calibration by holding X+Y+A before turning the system on
Thank you Aurelio. I will be sure to do so next time.