Question GC+ Problem

John

So I'm almost done with my first Wii portable but I ran into a problem. When I have the GC+ data line soldered on to my Wii when I turn it on the screen flashes with PortablizeMii and then goes off. The screen is still on, I checked all the voltages and everything is fine. If I remove the data line from my Wii it shows PortablizeMii, but I can't do anything because I don't have the data line soldered.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Can you please post a clear pic of where you're soldering your data line and also a pic of the wiring on the gc+ itself? :)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I recommend cleaning up any flux you have on your boards, especially around the controller data pins on the wii, then test again. I attached a picture of what looks like a possible bridge on the gc+ itself, and a good area to clean of flux as an example.

20180103_145032.jpg

Is there a way for you to test the gc+ with a different wii or gamecube? If you have a gamecube controller plug lying around, you can solder 3.3v, ground, and data to it and use it to test the gc+. That will tell you if the problem is on the wii end or the gc+ end.

If that's not an option and cleaning up the flux didn't work, I'd recommend disconnecting all of your buttons from the gc+, cleaning it, and then testing it without anything hooked up. If it works, connect one thing at a time, test, one more thing, test, until you figure out what is going wrong. There might be a solder blob on one of your buttons or joysticks.

If portablizemii still crashes with only the gc+ hooked up, you know it's likely a short either near the wii's controller data lines or on the gc+ itself.

John

I figured out why it crashes, but now the mouse on the screen keeps going right. I checked my 3ds sliders wiring and it seems fine. Not sure what to do at this point.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Are both sliders connected? Iirc it acts funny with only one joystick hooked up

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Have you updated it to the latest firmware and also calibrated it using the homebrew app?

John

How am I supposed to do that when I can't get into portablize mii because the board isn't working? I don't have another wii. Shouldn't it be good to go when I get it? I bought it from bitbuilt, I didn't use open source.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
How am I supposed to do that when I can't get into portablize mii because the board isn't working? I don't have another wii. Shouldn't it be good to go when I get it? I bought it from bitbuilt, I didn't use open source.
You still need to update and calibrate them yourself. You'll have to wait until you have access to a Wii to do it on.