Question GC+ Ordering/Firmware Question

So I just recently found this site and the GC+ seems to be exactly what I need for a gamecube controller project I am working on. The store on this site seems to be down (for how long?) and I found one other place to order from (a link on github to oshpark) This site's info on the GC+ Documentation page says that the software can eb updated via the homebrew application on the gamecube. No problem there. But the link on github that links to oshpark says that it has to be flashed on with a separate tool ? Which of these is correct? Or are the chips shipped differently (ie from here already flashed with 1.0 and just needing to be updated vs from oshpark with no firmware at all?) Sorry if this is confusing I just want to make sure I can get everything I need before ordering. Thanks a bunch!

Noah

retired
Portables
Hi,

The store is currently down for maintenance but if you need a GC+ soon just PM me and you can buy one from the store stock.

The GitHub link for OSH park would just get you the bare board, you'd need to order the components from the BOM and populate it yourself. You are correct, it does also need to be flashed with a separate tool, that being a PICKit. The homebrew app is only for updating already programmed boards. The boards from the store ship with the latest firmware.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
When you get a GC+ from the store, it comes with the correct software flashed and they are updated to whatever the latest public firmware is. When you build your own, you buy the main IC from an electronics company like Digikey or Mouser, and then you have to flash the software in the Github to it. To program it, you'll need a programmer like this. From there, you can update your GC+ just like you normally would with one from the store. You can update from a GameCube if you have an SD Gecko or from a Wii just with the Homebrew app.

Hi,

The store is currently down for maintenance but if you need a GC+ soon just PM me and you can buy one from the store stock.

The GitHub link for OSH park would just get you the bare board, you'd need to order the components from the BOM and populate it yourself. You are correct, it does also need to be flashed with a separate tool, that being a PICKit. The homebrew app is only for updating already programmed boards. The boards from the store ship with the latest firmware.
Hey Noah, it looks like the store is still down. I have been trying to finish a Wii portable since late 2014/early 2015 (life gets busy ya know) and have been looking at the GC+ for a while now. Can you help me buy one so I can maybe wrap this up one day? Here is a link to my terrible work done when I first started ;
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/off-topic-portable-wii.204102/

Edit: here is my current monstrosity;

Attachments