Question GC+ Need help getting boards to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
While waiting for the store to restock GC+ I decided to build a few. I have tested everything with a multimeter and didn't find any shorts. (I know in the 2nd image, 2 of the vias on the left look connected but according to my multimeter they are fine, maybe just the solder mask is messed up)

And it looks like I flashed the chip correctly.

I wired enough just to test the A button.

When I plug this into the GameCube adapter for the Switch (playing Smash Bros Ultimate) and connect A to GND, there is no input.

I have not had any luck on the 3 other I tested as well.

I am using a 3rd party Gamecube extension cable where red is data (top center) to D on GC+, green is 3.3V (bottom left) to +, and yellow is GND (bottom right) tp -.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
How long is that unshielded data wire? Also, pls clean the back of that board. It's grubby as fuck and upsets me.

The total length of the cable is about 3 feet. The line connecting D to the extension cable is about 3 inches.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That length should be fine. Can you show us photos of the rest of your wiring?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm assuming you continuity checked all those since you went to the trouble of making a JST connector for it. The only thing I can really suggest is to wire up two thumbsticks to it (because GC+ don't like not having sticks connected and can fail randomly) and see if that makes a difference.

No luck with the thumb-sticks wired. I guess I'm going back to using 4 Arduinos to simulate a controller.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
No luck with the thumb-sticks wired. I guess I'm going back to using 4 Arduinos to simulate a controller.
Have you tried wiring the GC+ directly to the controller data pin on the Wii itself? Maybe your extension cable is messing with it.

xsping

While waiting for the store to restock GC+ I decided to build a few. I have tested everything with a multimeter and didn't find any shorts. (I know in the 2nd image, 2 of the vias on the left look connected but according to my multimeter they are fine, maybe just the solder mask is messed up)

And it looks like I flashed the chip correctly.

I wired enough just to test the A button.

When I plug this into the GameCube adapter for the Switch (playing Smash Bros Ultimate) and connect A to GND, there is no input.

I have not had any luck on the 3 other I tested as well.
gc+ will only work with 4-layer wii, if you want it to work with a 6-layer wii, you need to add a 10k resistor between data and 3.3v,i do not know the ns adaptor have the 10k resistor inside or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.