Programming...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x44ff
configuration memory
EEData memory
Programming/Verify complete
2018-06-06 20:25:34 -0400 - Programming complete
Pass Count: 7

2018-06-06 20:25:37 -0400 - Verifying...

Verifying...

The following memory areas(s) will be verified:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x7fff
configuration memory
EEData memory
User Id Memory

program memory
Address: 0 Expected Value: 80 Received Value: 0
Verify failed
2018-06-06 20:25:41 -0400 - Verify failed

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
What else should I be doing?

Device Erased...

Programming...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x44ff
configuration memory
EEData memory
Programming/Verify complete
2018-06-06 20:25:34 -0400 - Programming complete
Pass Count: 7

2018-06-06 20:25:37 -0400 - Verifying...

Verifying...

The following memory areas(s) will be verified:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x7fff
configuration memory
EEData memory
User Id Memory

program memory
Address: 0 Expected Value: 80 Received Value: 0
Verify failed
2018-06-06 20:25:41 -0400 - Verify failed
That’s fine. The code has enabled code protection, so you can’t read back from the IC, which means that you can’t verify what you wrote to it.

Oh, okie doke. Should this work immediately after flashing, or do I need to use that homebrew app to set it up?

Unfortunately, it does not. None of the button presses are registered, it acts as if no controller is connected. I did notice that when the chip is soldered to the board, the 3.3v coming from the controller port drops to 2~2.5v. Tested this on both a stock Gamecube and stock Wii as well. Don't know why, or if that matters.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Then you might have a short

Last edited by a moderator:
I've checked pin by pin, no shorts. How sensitive are these chips to heat? Possibly I got it too hot and damaged it internally?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hmm I have never had an issue related to overheat with those PICs. Can you post pictures of your board?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It would appear I ordered and am trying to use the PIC18F25K22T-I/SS instead of the PIC18F25K22-I/SS Would that be the cause of my troubles? I would assume there is a difference, but I cannot find what the "T" stands for in the datasheet.
That only means that the ICs are sold in tapes to Mouser. It’s not relevant to you

OK, that's good to know. I removed the chip and put it into a GC+ board I had and it still didn't work right so I've called this one a wash and ordered more chips. I am just going to start over with one of my blank PCBs. A new PIC will be the first thing on it. What's the first thing you would recommend I add after I flash it to test? An analog stick, or a single button? I would like to go one by one in order to minimize things to test if it doesn't work right again.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Have you enabled the "power device with tool" option? I believe I got this error when I wasn't doing that.

Yeah, I enabled it and flashing it seemed to work fine. I didn't have any issues with it being detected or flashing it as far as I know. Maybe I killed it, maybe there was a short somewhere I could not find, maybe the chip was junk from the get go. When I get my next order of parts in a few days I'll try again and hopefully find out where it went wrong.

Yeah, they are all there. I transplanted everything from a working GC+ (sacrilege and blasphemous I know) and everything worked on my pcb, but it kept wanting to go left. I know now after reading that it was likely because I didn't have the c stick wired up. But at the time, I thought perhaps I bungled the PIC, or there was some sort of issue with my board. So in an attempt to return it to the GC+ for further testing, I ripped off a few legs. I figured all I would have to do is get the same chip, flash it with your .hex and I'd be good to go again. But alas that has not been the case. In a few days time I will have my parts. First thing I will do is begin to put the components on the blank GC+ board I still have, alongside a new blank pcb of mine and see where the problem lies. I appreciate your assistance and may need it again a few days from now.

P.S. I cannot thank you enough for, not only creating such a neat device, but also sharing how you did it so everyone else can. It is really super cool of you, thank you.