GBoy worklog ( Metroid themed)

Hey everyone!
Glad to be here with my first ever work-log for my Gboy build. Im not gonna lie I was absolutely terrified to do this build because of my lacking skills in soldering; but after a year of practicing with gameboys and getting more comfortable with soldering, I've decided to make a Gboy.

Unfortunately I didn't realize how limited the supplies were and missed out on my own kit until I discovered Gman put out the files for free. That being said, Ive made it my personal quest to make my first true modded handheld. So far Ive been able to secure the custom pcbs for the Gboy, and have the shell being printed right now and should be here in a week or so.

I'm unemployed at the moment so money is really tight for me but I'm working on selling some stuff so that I can get more parts included the PMS-PD 2, UAMP, and RVL PMS lite. I'm a huge Metroid fan and with this being my first custom handheld, I wanted to make it really dope so I had the regular fan place replaced with the Metroid prime logo. To deal with the issue of the resin shell being toxic trough contact over time, Ill be using Dupli-Color Red Metalcast Paint with a clear coat to give the shell a great color and make sure its protected for years to come. A added bonus of this paint is that its used for cars and can take high heat so I dont have to worry about the paint melting. Ill be using clear electric green DS lite buttons, black joycon sticks and I alos found a site that sells glass screens that fits the shell ( credit to https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG-DMGx-XRS-Replacement-Glass_p_47.html ) As I get further with getting all the necessary parts I'll keep you guys posted but for right now, here's a copy of the STL file for the shell I have printing. When I get it painted Ill be sure to post it!

image006.png

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Are you working with Dustin Fischer's G-Boy Modification? That's the only way (as of right now) that you can get the custom interface PCBs needed to build one of these (along with the modified shell files to accommodate the PCBs)? The original PCB files are not available, so you cannot use Gman's untouched release files. Just want to save you some headache before you order / print anything using the old files as a base.

Are you working with Dustin Fischer's G-Boy Modification? That's the only way (as of right now) that you can get the custom interface PCBs needed to build one of these (along with the modified shell files to accommodate the PCBs)? The original PCB files are not available, so you cannot use Gman's untouched release files. Just want to save you some headache before you order / print anything using the old files as a base.
Yea thats where I got the stl and gerber files from. I read that Dustin made a few changes to the shell and pcbs to work with 4layer boards for the build and glass lens. I also saw your post for the other parts needed to make the pcbs work properly and have better fitting for the heat sink and fan. I appreciate the look out!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Awesome!!! I'm excited to see this come to fruition, I've been loving seeing all the custom G-Boys people have been making recently!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
That Metroid logo is fantastic. I'm interested to see how it prints with the drastic overhang.

Can you post some pics of it before post clean up? I might try printing one myself while I wait for the 4layer boards to restock.

EDIT: Sorry overlooked the fact that you ordered it externally. Stoked to see how it turns out when you get it!

That Metroid logo is fantastic. I'm interested to see how it prints with the drastic overhang.

Can you post some pics of it before post clean up? I might try printing one myself while I wait for the 4layer boards to restock.

EDIT: Sorry overlooked the fact that you ordered it externally. Stoked to see how it turns out when you get it!
Thanks man! Credit goes to Embercraft! I met the owner Cory via reddit and he really hooked me up with this print. I felt it would have been a disservice to this build if I went for the Metroid Prime theme without that litle "chefs kiss" touch for the fan lol

As far as pics before clean up, Ill see what I can get but I don't think it should cause much issue with the printing. I got the stl file for the logo here if you wanted to use it. https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/verbatimt-3

Im super excited to bring this baby to life! I might run around my place like a mad man when I do XD lol

Last edited:
Do you guys think this screen https://www.buydisplay.com/ips-3-5-inch-full-viewing-640x480-tft-display-capacitive-touch-screen would work with this board?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800331368404.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.258438da4AZqmO&gps-id=shoppingCartRecommend&scm=1007.13440.311564.0&scm_id=1007.13440.311564.0&scm-url=1007.13440.311564.0&pvid=dcaa4f04-2002-4578-8683-610f1f2df98f&_t=gps-id:shoppingCartRecommend,scm-url:1007.13440.311564.0,pvid:dcaa4f04-2002-4578-8683-610f1f2df98f,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238109%231935&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%2141.3%2126.02%21%21%21%21%21%402101ec1f16849866229135757e006f%2110000002590971014%21rec%21US%212607392448

Im trying to see if I can save a few bucks and get compatable parts without having to do any additional work if i can but i feel like I may just have to bite the bullet for this one.
EDIT: I just found out that the Screen on ali is the better option so nevermind.. Looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet for this one but it will be well worth it. lol

Last edited:

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Do you guys think this screen would work with this board?

snip

Im trying to see if I can save a few bucks and get compatable parts without having to do any additional work if i can but i feel like I may just have to bite the bullet for this one.
EDIT: I just found out that the Screen on ali is the better option so nevermind.. Looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet for this one but it will be well worth it. lol
The screen linked seems identical to the wisecoco listing, so this should be compatible. You'll just need to remove the capacitive touch layer from the screen or try to buy one without it.

So little update!
I hit a bit of luck today and was able to get my hands on a 4layer board wii for 30 bucks and just finished soft modding it! Took me a few hours to figure it out but I finally got it! Now I just need to get everything organized, load my games and put it all on my micro SD card! One step closer to my Metroid Themed GBOY!! :D

20230527_235049.jpg

20230527_235138.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, Im still working to get my funds together to get my pcbs from 4layer tech and ips screen. In the mean time, I was doing some more reading on the wii trim and the pcbs needed for the gboy and I'm a little confused. For Dustin remix gboy print, I know he relocated the screw posts to fit the RVL PMS lite but if I'm using the Lite don't I need to keep the LDO chip on the wii trim because the lite doesnt have one? On the bit build guide for the LDO https://manual.bitbuilt.net/step/optional-removing-the-ldo/7/ it says " If you're building a G-Boy then this step is not optional and must be performed before you can install your trimmed board into the case." I'm thinking is in regards to the RVL PMS 2 and not the light. I want to be sure im getting this right for the build.

Thank you for the clarification!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Correct, if you're using the PMS-LITE then you need to leave the 1.8v LDO on the board and connect voltage from the Wiis 1.8v pad to the PMS-LITE 1.8v pad.

The Wii provides power to the PMS for 1.8v.

ok cool. Thank you for confirming. I swear with all this reading im doing, I feel like I'm about to get another degree lol XD

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys, Im still working to get my funds together to get my pcbs from 4layer tech and ips screen. In the mean time, I was doing some more reading on the wii trim and the pcbs needed for the gboy and I'm a little confused. For Dustin remix gboy print, I know he relocated the screw posts to fit the RVL PMS lite but if I'm using the Lite don't I need to keep the LDO chip on the wii trim because the lite doesnt have one? On the bit build guide for the LDO https://manual.bitbuilt.net/step/optional-removing-the-ldo/7/ it says " If you're building a G-Boy then this step is not optional and must be performed before you can install your trimmed board into the case." I'm thinking is in regards to the RVL PMS 2 and not the light. I want to be sure im getting this right for the build.

Thank you for the clarification!
That instruction is for the old G-Boy Rev3 kits and I believe it is not needed for Dustin's remixed files. There are recent build logs of people using the PMS-Lite to build G-Boys and saw no mention of the LDO getting in the way

Also for the gerber files i used to print my pcbs, the speaker pcb has a spot for the headphone jack. Would I need to add one to the pcb or would it be better to get the jack that comes with the u amp2?

That instruction is for the old G-Boy Rev3 kits and I believe it is not needed for Dustin's remixed files. There are recent build logs of people using the PMS-Lite to build G-Boys and saw no mention of the LDO getting in the way
cool thank you for the info!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Also for the gerber files i used to print my pcbs, the speaker pcb has a spot for the headphone jack. Would I need to add one to the pcb or would it be better to get the jack that comes with the u amp2?
The U-Amp's jack should fit on the G-Boy PCB