Worklog GBoy rev3

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I know you all are getting tired of the GBoy, it's been like 3 years and I'm still not over it. That's too bad :P

The GBoy rev3 began January 2018 and was built for showcasing at MGC. It was completed but with little to no time for development, it felt very rushed. A year later I will be continuing the same portable again for MGC 2019.

The GBoy is relying on a single USB-C port for PD charging and 2.0 data multiplexing (internal usb drive). So far it seems seemless.
20190126_131956.jpg
Though I have to give credit to @Aurelio for guiding me through the I2C registers on the chip. The datasheet was a bit confusing to me and they don't come out directly and tell you which configuration bits you need to set. After taking a dump of the registers and referencing some of the example code, Aurelio pointed out to me how to format the data. The voltage/current parameters are 10bit values divided into 8bit registers in little endian format. Thanks!

I'm at the weird point where I need to finish the CAD to make the PCBs but need to finish the PCBs to finish the CAD. After getting through the 6 custom pcbs required, I threw together a highly functional test fit. It's given me a good direction of what I need to improve next.
20190129_221247.jpg 20190130_084316.jpg 20190129_185124.jpg
My favorite part of the rev3 is the CAD improvements I can make like the new comfy shoulder buttons and stereo speakers.

Woops, IOVDD is 1v8 NOT 3v3 :facepalm: Cut/Solder maneuver it is working now. It's not harmful but since using the I2S Wii audio, all the data came in as static lol though I was positive my measurements/code config was right.
20190129_135634.jpg

Well the internals are in pretty good shape. I need to figure out how I will do the case next. MGC is coming up quick.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
You have a bad habit of soldering wires to QFNs. That's not good

Looks good so far. Keep up the good work man

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It looks so clean compared to Rev1

splain

I love it. I'd like to make a GBoy someday, I'm already studying these pictures :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Built up a more functional prototype for testing. Seems just about ready to move on to the next step. I used a light pipe for the led indicator, it works really well. The led alone is too bright but the diffusion brings it to a perfect level. The on button and the volume buttons are on the side, I made them the same buttons as the Switch.
20190210_145143.jpg

20190211_111224.jpg

@Gman

Looks great! From the 3D designing to the electronic circuitry, your worklogs are always interesting to follow!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
FDM printed Gboy rev3 survived MGC! I transplanted most of the parts over to a new case ordered from Shapeways. I consider it officially the first GBoy rev3 built! I've already got ideas for what I will change next including Switch buttons since the DS lite variety is dwindling down, though I won't redesign the controller until GC+2.0 is released. I'm using a 30x30x10 mm fan which is louder, so I have plans to redo the cooling as well.

I revised the shoulder buttons to use the dual-tact switches that Aurelio found. They make a huge improvement in terms of comfort and playability.
20190429_175329.jpg

Ordered the case from Shapeways using the "versatile white"
20190430_165627.jpg

After the custom pcbs are made up, it's really a quick build
20190430_194448.jpg
20190501_071300.jpg
20190502_183621.jpg

That's all for now. I will make a finished thread and video soon.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Looks really nice Gman. Don't know how you can get much better than this. The case looks absolutely incredible, what material is that printed in?

As always, nice work. Cannot get over how professional the finish is.

Awesome :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Looks really nice Gman. Don't know how you can get much better than this. The case looks absolutely incredible, what material is that printed in?

As always, nice work. Cannot get over how professional the finish is.

Awesome :D
I believe shapeways uses nylon powder laser sintering printer

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What are those!?
They are a tact switch that has a built in soft and hard press (used in cameras and other devices). They are available on digikey though this one has a larger travel distance and feels much better. Unfortunately they seem to only be available in europe. I will refrain from posting the link so every member that wants one doesnt waste $30 for shipping on a $.14 part. If there is interest, perhaps they will be available in the store soon or distributed by a member (maybe me, I ordered 50x because of the minimum order. I don't need so many).

Ah, I see. Okie doke. I mentioned it briefly in my worklog, but Shapeways' plastic takes to Rit's synthetic fabric dye very well. I (someone with barely any painting experience) thought it significantly easier to put the pieces into a pot of near boiling water/dye for a few minutes, then to even think about the daunting task of painting it. It came out even and uniform all over, inside and out. Then I clear coated it. Which was a whole other daunting task. The Grey dye however, for some reason, came out closer to lavender.

Last edited:

Dylan

Are the PCBs that you designed open source, and if so, where can I find them?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Are the PCBs that you designed open source, and if so, where can I find them?
The RVLPMS and GC+ are opensource, however the pcbs specific to the Gboy will not be open source.

xsping

They are a tact switch that has a built in soft and hard press (used in cameras and other devices). They are available on digikey though this one has a larger travel distance and feels much better. Unfortunately they seem to only be available in europe. I will refrain from posting the link so every member that wants one doesnt waste $30 for shipping on a $.14 part. If there is interest, perhaps they will be available in the store soon or distributed by a member (maybe me, I ordered 50x because of the minimum order. I don't need so many).
hello,Gman, I am desired to find the dual tactile switch you used in gboy, i can not find it on digikey ,what is its model number ? and it will be appreciated if you can give me the link?