Worklog GBA SP printed portrait mod

Portables
I decided to try my hand at a weekend project for modding a GBA SP into a portrait handheld. I got some inspiration from boxy pixel's GBA SP unhinged metal version (waiting on my order of one) that I did some searching for 3d printed shells and there are some to a degree of usability on thingiverse. Generaly these drop the use of L and R but those are needed.

So here's my work in progress, I got a decent chunk done unfortunately I do need a different style of headphone jack so it's currently a dummy port.

Finished post

My requirements for this mod were:
  • Ips LCD mod FunnyPlaying got through retro modding in Canada
  • Bigger battery ended up using a cellphone battery as it fit really well 1400mah
  • L and R usable
  • Used some thingiverse models as a base point for working from, thanks to those that had the models still on thingiverse for free
  • Headphone jack was an after thought so my inline switching one was a no go. It's not a bridge grounds style pinout, it cuts left and right channels when the jack goes in
  • Brightness usable, the model I used did not use the brightness key due to placement and thickness, I wired up to the button a 6mm tactile with 30awg wire and stuck it in the bottom of the top shell, actually works
  • Any cartridge can be used, I am using an omega flash Amazon or any other retailer will work, the cartridge by design does hold down the bottom half of the rear case
At the time of writing this can't show it on cause the battery is charging, 2.8v charge is too low for the unit to power cycle

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
Pretty impressive mod! How do L and R feel with respect to the original ?
Not very different actually, they are behind the front half and that kind of makes for a different feel to find it but it's still using a 6mm tactile relocated to the back shell. They have a more solid click, bit more pressure. I added a photo for a side by side.

The tactiles are on a 45 angle outward vs the verticle press to the original

Attachments

Portables
So GBA SP portrait mod is done to where I want it. I tried a stereo mod but I wasn't really happy with the amplified sound, so I'm keeping it stock sounding. I did follow the guide from retrosix in the UK to cleaning up the noise in the audio, so there's a few extra capacitors added on the backside.

Completed unit has:
  • Ips LCD
  • 1400mah battery
  • Usb C 5v power pass through to the GBA SP power input
  • Wireless Qi Receiver added to the power input as well
  • Rear side triggers with 12mm tactiles
  • Audio hiss/noise cleanup
  • Any game cartridge (omega flash using)
  • 6mm tac on bottom for brightness
  • No heaphone jack as I really just don't use headphones much anymore

20210304_205746.jpg
20210304_205649.jpg
20210304_205715.jpg
20210304_205905.jpg

Nice job! Really like what you did for the L and R triggers. You should post this on the Gameboy reddit and the Gameboy discord!

One question though, does the audio hiss/noise cleanup work make a real difference? I am contemplating doing this mod as well. Also, how does it compare in thickness with the original GBA SP?

Portables
One question though, does the audio hiss/noise cleanup work make a real difference? I am contemplating doing this mod as well.
I was skeptical but I tired it with an amp prior to the mod and after and it does make an impact, it will be more noticable with an amped speaker setup like what they do on the normal gba. However it does clean up headphone sound too.

This is awesome! It's neat to see another vertical SP mod. I actually really like the pattern you get from the infill showing through the plastic on the green body.