Board scan GBA Board Scans

Noah

retired
Portables
I wonder if a safe board cut could be found and performed to shrink it down to the Micro size, but still keep the GB/GMC functionality.
Just by looking at the board scans it should be possible. The entire left "flank" for lack of a better term looks like it could be lopped off but you'd lose sound unless you relocated the amp. If I can find a couple of cheap GBAs I wouldn't mind tackling this project.

EDIT: Left from the back, right from the front. Not having mirrored scans is confusing!

Last edited:

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Just by looking at the board scans it should be possible. The entire left "flank" for lack of a better term looks like it could be lopped off but you'd lose sound unless you relocated the amp. If I can find a couple of cheap GBAs I wouldn't mind tackling this project.

EDIT: Left from the back, right from the front. Not having mirrored scans is confusing!
I figured that relocation would be required of some components.

I would love to see such nonetheless, and I'll ask Tom at PastTime what they sell the GBAs for

Seeing as this is a useful contribution of information, adding this to the scan thread is fine!
What i found was on the pins 1-5 for the headphone jack.
1st, The common or ground on headphones do not connect to the ground on the GBA.
2nd, Only while the headphone jack is on the PCB and nothing is plugged in, Pin 4 and Pin 5 connect.
3rd, When you plug something into the headphone jack, it disconnects Pin 4 from Pin 5

Pin out
Pin 1, Headphone common, not GBA common.
Pin 2, Headphone Left stereo speaker, or White RCA out.
Pin 3, Headphone Right stereo speaker, or Red RCA out.
Pin 4, GBA Common/Ground, does not output through the headphone jack.
Pin 5,A, While nothing is plugged into the headphone jack is connected to Pin 4
B, Turns off the onboard speaker if something plugs into the headphone jack.
C, If you remove the headphone jack, the onboard speaker will not work without a jumper from Pin 4 to Pin 5

headphone jack pinout.jpg

Last edited: