Worklog GB64p

Thanks! Im happy I found it too.

As far as your 5'' screen goes, here is a thread giving some recommended parts:

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

Most of the screens are from buydisplay.com. All of them take composite input, but some of them take HDMI input. This will be good for you since you're doing RGB. There is a recommended 5" screen which has 800x480 reso and hdmi input. Its good to note that pretty much any screen you buy will have a board smaller than the PSone screen board; although you should use it for testing while you wait on your new screen.. as shipping may take a couple weeks.

Im not exactly sure what you plan to do with RGB (are you making a N64 that has been RGB modded?) but composite is definitely easier. At any rate, you can certainly convert RGB to HDMI so you can use the recommended screens.

There could very well be great 5" screens out there for RGB that I just simply do not know about. I also dont know much about RGB/screens. I would recommend you start a thread in the screens section or browse for info.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?forums/screens.45/

Hope this helps, whatever path you take will certainly be better than that PSone screen ;)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks! Im happy I found it too.

As far as your 5'' screen goes, here is a thread giving some recommended parts:

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

Most of the screens are from buydisplay.com. All of them take composite input, but some of them take HDMI input. This will be good for you since you're doing RGB. There is a recommended 5" screen which has 800x480 reso and hdmi input. Its good to note that pretty much any screen you buy will have a board smaller than the PSone screen board; although you should use it for testing while you wait on your new screen.. as shipping may take a couple weeks.

Im not exactly sure what you plan to do with RGB (are you making a N64 that has been RGB modded?) but composite is definitely easier. At any rate, you can certainly convert RGB to HDMI so you can use the recommended screens.

There could very well be great 5" screens out there for RGB that I just simply do not know about. I also dont know much about RGB/screens. I would recommend you start a thread in the screens section or browse for info.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?forums/screens.45/

Hope this helps, whatever path you take will certainly be better than that PSone screen ;)
You'd need something really expensive like UltraHDMI to do that. There aren't any screens that accept RGB natively available.

Ah well in that case sabeltooth should stick with the psone screen or go with Composite.

Yes I have an rgb modded n64 as well as a Sony pvm with rgb inputs I want to use when my portable is docked (and completed lol). Eventually I want to add an ultra hdmi to it but as of right now kits are out stock.

I'll keep at it with the PS1 screen for now :)

Sorry for taking up time on your thread.

E64

Portables
A 5 inch screen would work too there's enough room in the case for it as well for the buttons
im working on the same type of portable but a bit different from yours :D
back.jpg
front.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great man!

Good work with the frankencasing. What color are you going to paint it?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
In regards to screen size, aspect ratio is important as well. Most of the screens in the BOM are widescreen, and (as far as I know) no n64 games supported widescreen. So your games are either going to be stretched, or you are going to have big black bars on both sides of the screen. The Innulox ZJ050NA-08C or its identical Dalian Good-Display clone are excellent 5" screens with the same size and aspect ratios as the psone screen. Although they are better, less expensive and more efficient screens, They do not accept composite RGB video, and only accepts composite and VGA, so if you want the best video quality, you are going to need to get something like an UltraVGA. Worst case scenario, if you MUST have RGB, use a zenith screen instead of a psone screen. They are the same on the inside, motherboard and all, but not nearly as much of an endangered species.

Last edited:
Hey Shank,

Thanks for those links..

They do not accept composite video
You mentioned that this screen does not accept composite: http://www.good-display.com/products_detail/productId=92.html

It says the video input is VIDEO and VGA... does VIDEO input mean composite? One of the wires coming off of its board is yellow, which looks like a composite input.

And if not.. what do you recommend for a composite input 5" screen? Im not interested in getting the ULTRAVGA. I really like the ones on buydisplay, but I guess what you're saying is that theyre all16:9 and the ones in 4:3 dont have great resolution

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I meant to say it doesn't accept RGB, or only will accept composite from the N64.

E64

Portables
DSCN2166.JPG
DSCN2168.JPG

Your paint job is way better than mine i just got done doing it today

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello

Where do you get a GBA carrying case? I can't find them anywhere

Also nice build!
Ebay, Amazon, or a garage sale if you're lucky. There aren't many out there anymore, so finding one for a reasonable price can be tricky.