Question GB DMG w/ A/B/X/Y/L1/L2/R1/R2 ???

Hey everyone!

So I had a question & was wondering (hoping) some of you geniuses would be willing to toss me your 2¢?

So a while back I got this from inside gadgets:
Screenshot_20210713-201301.png

Wireless Gameboy Controller (For PC/RPi, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, NES/SNES Classic Mini) – insideGadgets Shop

I use it on my RetroPie station & am able to use my DMG as a wireless controller. The only bummer is I can't use it for any system that has more than the A & B buttons.

Is there a way to modify the DMG front board to add additional buttons to it? I'd love to have a DMG decked out with all the buttons of a GBZ whilst keeping the (majority of the) original guts intact.

Maybe with something like this?
1627318692651.png

common ground dmg button pcb (A/B/X/Y version) | kitsch-bent

Thanks for reading this far! I'm rather n00bish, so any lil bit of info helps!

lord_of_misrule

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You would probably want to replace that board with a custom flex pcb, those are much thinner and would give you the best chance of fitting everything inside the DMG. Then, depending on how you want to get the info of the extra buttons to the gameboy to then be transmitted, you would either need to cut into the cartridge for the transmitter, or come up with a communication method over something like the EXT port.

The cart looks to be open source, so you should be able to make the code changes to that relatively easily. The EXT port also has some good documentation.