Worklog Gamecube Portable: Let the Games Begin

Discussion in 'GameCube' started by Cradiak, May 27, 2018.

1. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    This is the first entry for my Gamecube Portable, or semi-portable depending on whether or not I decide to go with a battery pack.

I know what you're gonna say: "The Wii is better, don't mod a Gamecube!" Well forget the haters! I just happened to have a Gamecube lying around that I don't use anymore, so it seemed like a prime target for my next portable!

This is my work log of said project. It's only my second portable so my feelings won't be hurt if I kill it and don't finish the project or abandon it for another Wii portable. But I love the process so it'll be fun for me either way.

I don't own a 3d printer and have no desire to get one for some time so I'll be frankencasing it. To be honest that was one of the most rewarding parts of my first portable so I'm happy to do it again.

I'm aiming to improve on some of the things I felt weren't very good on my Wii Laptop. Here are a few plans I have thus far:

1. Since the wasp fusion is so hard to come by and since I kind of loathe software modding, I'm going to keep the disc drive intact and fully functional. I may later mod the software, but I doubt it.

2. Because I'm leaving the disc drive intact, I'm considering designing it like a portable DVD player. I may use a Zn case like my Wii Laptop since it's already in that design factor. I also want to have the controller integrated into the case so it is more portable, but I don't plan on making it a handheld...still working that out in my mind, I'm sure I'll change my mind plenty before the end.

3. Since I already used a Zn case on my first portable, I plan on heavily modifying the case to make it clearly distinguishable over my other one (assuming I do in fact decide to use the Zn case).

4. I was pretty unsatisfied on the paint job on my first portable, the gray was pretty bland imo. I want to give it a much better and unique paint job this time around.

5. The port cutouts were kinda shoddy and not very practical in terms of functionality (I ended up having to use tweezers or something to remove the SD card, for example) so I plan on doing a much better job of that this time.

Ultimately, I want this to look like something you would buy in a store, so I want it to have a very sleek and professional look to it. But again, it's my second portable so I'm keeping my expectations realistic.

Given the higher voltage demands of the Gamecube compared to the Wii and the reduced battery life, I haven't decided if I'll do a portable battery power source or not yet.

So, with that said, let the games begin! Screenshot_20180527-152513.png

Bakuku and BocuD like this.
  2. nephitejnf .

Portables:
    The ZN case was a defacto laptop style case. I like the idea, I have a couple GCs laying around myself. Can't wait to see the further progress.

Cradiak likes this.
  3. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    Update video on progress. Took this a few days ago so I've gone a little bit more since then:

4. Shank Certified Wiitard Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    FredisDisappoint.jpg

Cradiak, BocuD, GingerOfOz and 3 others like this.
  5. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    Update, work log 2.
    Finished with the regulator wiring and did my first power test, everything powers on. Audio is really low, so I have to figure out if that is the cable I used to test or if I need to rewire something.

6. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt .

About the audio, are you powering the preamp?

7. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    I'm not sure, where is the preamp located? I just assumed it used the 5v or 12v feed from the regulator.

EDIT: If the preamp is the issue, that's not a big concern since I'm going to use my own preamp and speakers for it.

8. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    The pre-amp is a little chip on the board that boosts the audio coming out of the GPU up to a level that the amp in a TV can comfortably work with. It runs off the 12v line, so if you're using the stock regs and not trimming the board, it'll be fully powered and working. You can disconnect the 12v line and grab the audio from the inputs of the pre-amp if it's too loud.

9. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    I had the 12v connected, so I'm not sure why is was so quiet. I'll troubleshoot that later I suppose, but I did have audio, so that's a plus, even if it was quiet.

On another note, my battery and case came in today, so I'm doing to get to work on designing that and testing the battery pack with the Gamecube. And I'm going to get the Gamecube controller set up.

IMG_20180614_170456-picsay.jpg

Edit: And I have my cardboard dummy housing all ready to cut up :D You show me a fancy 3d printer and I'll show you some cardboard, ducktape, and scissors. It's just as good!! Lol

IMG_20180614_174340-picsay.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018