Worklog GameCube portable in Year of our lord 2023

Portables
Greetings all. I have come to share with you all a GameCube portable in Year of our lord 2023. Why? Well a couple reasons. First is I started and never finished a portable about 5-6 years ago that I'll be cannibalizing as a start point. The second major reason is that this is a present for a retro gamer friend with a large collection of GameCube games so it was important that the physical disc drive stay intact. Now when I mean that this project is old, I mean that I am currently working with a PSone screen and a wasp fusion chip. Don't worry. There will be some changes.

Main features of the build
-slightly modified almostWTF trim
-7 inch TFT screen
-pico boot mod chip (if anyone wants a wasp, feel free to message me an offer).
-retained disc drive
-3d printed case (WIP design currently)
-switch-like dock station to connect to TV and controller port breakout
-blue retro Bluetooth controller support

My Esp32 chip comes in tomorrow so I hope to have some progress shots of things wired up for testing. Once this project is done or the GC motherboard dies, I'll work on a proper Wii portable. Expect some pictures over the weekend.

Also feel free to message me about the Wasp fusion. The PSone screen will be up for grabs as soon as I get my TFT replacement as long as I don't fry it.

Edit: work log update.
Ok so right now I've got my cube set up as a test platform for all the mods I plan to do. Everything appears to be working so I'll start motherboard trimming tomorrow.

Pictured you can see I am running a picoboot with a 128GB internal drive connected to serial port 2. I've also added an esp32 chip set up with blue retro for Bluetooth controller support. In handheld mode, the portable will function as player 1, and up to 3 other controllers can connect wirelessly. In docked mode, the dock will have a break out for physical controller ports where physical controllers will take priority over wireless controllers.

The final mod is a Pluto HDMI chip. The portable itself will be running off of composite video, and the Pluto chip itself will remain unpowered to save battery life unless it is docked. It will be switched on via MOSFET and allow output to the big screen via HDMI for better comparability with modern displays.
16723644010252631834772215770127.jpg

Picoboot on picoW

16723644652366525178907777892362.jpg

ESP32 with blue retro HW2

16723645110133771046987650827998.jpg

Pluto HDMI

@Shank - I know. I know. I should be using a Wii, but this is a project for a friend who has a large collection of physical media so retaining the disc drive was a must. I've been collecting other parts such as a Wii and better regulators for a proper modern GCp to do next after this project.

Last edited:
Portables
Welp first snag I've run into. I can't seem to get a clear video signal. I've got a shielded cable running to the screen, but no matter what I try, I keep getting bad output.
PXL_20230104_234810962.jpg
PXL_20230104_234804496.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Could be insufficient current supply from the regulators, what kind are you using?

Portables
Could be insufficient current supply from the regulators, what kind are you using?
I'm using the typical zenloc custom regulators. I did solve it. I added more grounds between the regulators and the motherboard which cleared the signal up. I'll also throw some larger caps to help smooth out current when I get back to my stash of them. Work continues.

Portables
Working on some custom PCB's to make life easier. First up is a new regulator board based on the RVL PMS by Gman. This has been reworked with a different regulator for the 1.9Volt line as well as removal of the outgoing SCL/SDA pins since they won't be needed. If anyone wants to take a look over to make sure everything looks sane, I'll be putting in an order for them soon as soon as I am done with my controller board.
reg sch.png
4302b22be6daa1e94de96981f3608e74.png
26120e8650afbfb22bbab22b47ddfeb6.png

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I don't want to rain on your parade, but are you sure you can buy the chips that PMS model relies on? Last I checked, the BQ chips and the regs on that board are still inaccessible due to the chip shortage.

Portables
Yep. They're all in stock. I looked at stock levels as I was building the board to make sure I could actually do it and selected parts i could actually get.