GameCube JoyCon CAD Files

Hi there,
thanks for sharing this cool project with us! I saw your Video so many times and finally started to try to recreate this on my own a few weeks ago.

I think it started very well and I'm at the point, where I was cutting the left Z-Button hole into the controller, which worked fine for me.
IMG_20200801_1142505.jpg IMG_20200801_1143081.jpg IMG_20200801_1143207.jpg
But know I'm a little struggling with mount to keep the Z-Button in place. Do you or somebody else have a good idea how to recreate this in a good way? I tried to dig a little hole, which kind of works for the top, but all the things I tried for the bottom mount dont felt good and like it behaves like the original one.
IMG_20200801_1144354_2.jpg

I would be very grateful for any suggestions and tips on this "problem". :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The 3d printed part that mounts the stick also holds the tact switch, and the Z button in place

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Bet yall never expected an update to these files. Just released update 1.1 for the poor souls still trying to make these.

I've another question, cause I think you said nothing about it in your video: Did you integrate the infrared into your joy-cons?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I've another question, cause I think you said nothing about it in your video: Did you integrate the infrared into your joy-cons?
I did not. There wasn't a way to integrate it without it sticking out like a big ugly tumor. It's not particularly useful though, especially for the types of games you would want to play with a gamecube controller

Ah, okay, makes sense to me.
Another question: I tried to figure out which Start-Gamecube-Button would be the best choice for the additional Switch buttons to use. Can you give an advice what buttons and which height of micro-push-buttons you used? I tried the Wavebird with the 5mm micro-push-buttons I have at home, but the seem to big to fit properly. The normal Gamecube-Buttons fit well with it. I tought about mixing them up, since the color isn't identical, like Wavebird-Buttons for Plus/Minus and Gamecube-Buttons for Home and Screencapture. The other thing is the feeling. The micro-push-buttons I have at home don't feel like Nintendo-Buttons, what would be a nice plus to have.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Another question: I tried to figure out which Start-Gamecube-Button would be the best choice for the additional Switch buttons to use. Can you give an advice what buttons and which height of micro-push-buttons you used? I tried the Wavebird with the 5mm micro-push-buttons I have at home, but the seem to big to fit properly. The normal Gamecube-Buttons fit well with it. I tought about mixing them up, since the color isn't identical, like Wavebird-Buttons for Plus/Minus and Gamecube-Buttons for Home and Screencapture. The other thing is the feeling. The micro-push-buttons I have at home don't feel like Nintendo-Buttons, what would be a nice plus to have.
For the actuators I used orange squishy tacts. For the buttons I used regular GameCube buttons, but I filed down the guide pieces, and instead glued a solid core wire (like a resistor lead) to the back of the button to be the guide piece to keep it from falling out

You'd have to change the start button mounts a bit, but it would be really cool to use a for parts Wii u pro controller +, -, and home buttons since you already need one for the clicky sticks. Stick with the gamecube start for the screen capture maybe. I enjoy having the buttons labled like they are on a wii u pro. A slick white or black Wii U pro style with a gamecube feel for finished product would look cool too. I might have to look into that if I attempt this build.

Hey just a small question before starting my project on this. How did you add the fuction for the gamecube joycons to be released from the rails? Is the grip release button somewhere else, or did you do something to make the joycons easily removeable eliminating the need for such a button?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Hey just a small question before starting my project on this. How did you add the fuction for the gamecube joycons to be released from the rails? Is the grip release button somewhere else, or did you do something to make the joycons easily removeable eliminating the need for such a button?
There is no release piece. 3D printing a piece that small that faces mechanical forces is recipe for disaster. Instead, pat of my designing refining process was tensioning the rails so they apply friction on the switch itself. They hold in place with a good amount of force, but can be pulled easily.

You mean you tensioned the docking rails? And if so did you make your own docking rails? Or did you use the metal ones from the charging joycon grip?

Thank you for all this great work btw

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You mean you tensioned the docking rails? And if so did you make your own docking rails? Or did you use the metal ones from the charging joycon grip?
I used replacement docking rails for the switch, not the charge grip. The charge grip does not hold tight. I have the plastic of the 3d printed piece pushing against the side of the switch tightly

If you want plus minus, home, use wiiu pro buttons. With minor modification they will work. they are only a little shorter than the gamecube start buttons, but with a little material they should work to give you a plus, minus, and home.

I used replacement docking rails for the switch, not the charge grip. The charge grip does not hold tight. I have the plastic of the 3d printed piece pushing against the side of the switch tightly
Oh I see, I'll try to look at the model again in Blender and see how I can manage it. And later on figure out how to put the rails inside.

If you want plus minus, home, use wiiu pro buttons. With minor modification they will work. they are only a little shorter than the gamecube start buttons, but with a little material they should work to give you a plus, minus, and home.
What about the Wireless Gamecube controller for the switch? It has buttons that seem accurate to the original and has all the new + and - buttons

Just amazing. Getting the 3D printer doing these tomorrow! Will take me a while but WOW!

Just amazing. Getting the 3D printer doing these tomorrow! Will take me a while but WOW!
I was actually thinking of taking shells and 3d scanning them somehow so in Blender I can make printable models that are already cut in half. I mean one day there won't be any shells remaining in this world so this will be a workaround

I was actually thinking of taking shells and 3d scanning them somehow so in Blender I can make printable models that are already cut in half. I mean one day there won't be any shells remaining in this world so this will be a workaround
I’ve started modelling them too. With these pieces built in so to speak. I’ll share if I get the shells good enough. If you manage it beforehand I’d love to give them a try.