GameCube JoyCon CAD Files

Shank

Staff member
Portables
ABOUT:
As promised, I am releasing the CAD files for the GameCube JoyCons. For most experienced portablizers, this should be a relatively straightforward, but tedious project. Frankencase the 3d printed parts in, and relocate the button data lines to the traces of the button actuators on cut up GameCube controllers. Note that different buttons are connected to the right ground to work properly. Yes, there are multiple grounds. Although tedious, figuring out which goes to which can be resolved with a multi-meter. I did not write down which goes to which. Relocation points can be found in DekuNukems documentation. Not all the information is there, but again, the rest can be deduced with a meter. I believe the analog sticks have their own ground, and the stick click needs to be pulled up to 1.8v instead of pulled to ground. Also worth noting is that the original PCBs that come on Wii U sticks invert one of the axis's, so it must be soldered and replaced with the plate in the files. The files aren't great, as I just made them intending it to be a 1-off project.

I am releasing these under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. I do not want these to be commissioned and sold.

However, because my video has obtained so much traction outside the modding scene, I need to add this disclaimer.
IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED AT MICROSOLDERING, THIS IS NOT THE PROJECT FOR YOU!
THIS PROJECT IS NOT EASY. IT IS NOT MEANT FOR BEGINNERS. NEITHER I, NOR ANYONE ON THIS FORUM, IS GOING TO HOLD YOUR HAND THROUGH IT.

JoyConSolder.jpg

Seriously. If you do not have a good, temperature controlled iron, you will not be able to do this project. . Your dad's fire stick in the garage will not work, and is just gonna destroy the pads. If you cannot do the kind of soldering pictured here, you CANNOT complete the project. Please do not cut your controller in half until you are sure you can perform the needed micro soldering. If you CANNOT do this kind of soldering, you WILL NOT be able to finish this project. If you have to ask what soldering iron, solder, or wire to use, this is not the project for you. If you have never soldered to 0402 pads, ffc pins, or scratched traces, this is not the project for you. Because that is every soldering point on this entire project.

I get dozens of messages about these per week, and I cannot help hold everyone's hand through the project. If you cannot do this kind of soldering, this is NOT THE PROJECT FOR YOU.

Update 1.1 8/2/2020
-Replaced the start button holder STL and IPT files with the thicker one I actually used in the joycons. The one in 1.0 was the wrong one, and the walls were too thin to print properly
-Moved older start button holder to the old folder within STL
-Added a slightly redesigned "stick holder assembly" in the stick holder folder. It is the 2 previous parts merged into a single, stronger design that should be easier to assemble. Its not what I used in the actual joycons, and isn't thoroughly tested, so i have also left the old stick holder files unaltered.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Praise be the Shankman!. I really wanna try this out but I'm going to have to find a faulty wavebird, I just can't bring myself to mutilate my working ones.

I saw your YouTube vid on this a couple of days ago. I don't own a switch but it was a really fun watch and interesting project. They came out great.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Rip to all the future Wave birbs and joycon boards ded from noobs D:

Why didn't you just take off the button stickers and wire directly to there though?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Why didn't you just take off the button stickers and wire directly to there though?
The D-PAD, A, B, X and Y buttons, along with their corresponding ground can be wired to the contact pads. From what I remember, all other points have no large pads to solder to.

What did you do for the disconnect from the switch or the centerpiece? Did you incorporate a version of the button that a standard joycon has?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
What did you do for the disconnect from the switch or the centerpiece? Did you incorporate a version of the button that a standard joycon has?
There is no locking mechanism, they are friction fit. Designing and 3D printing stuff that small and intricate... yea, nope.

Hey Shank, thanks a lot for releasing these files. Your GCJC video really inspired me to do some modding, so I'll start trying to build a Wii portable using the information on this website. Thanks again for making an instructive and entertaining video, I hope to be building these gamecube joycons in the future.

evan w

Hey, sorry for asking what might be a stupid question. Where or how did you get the pcb's for this project?

evan w

You buy a set of joycons then remove the case.
Thank you for the reply, I realize I was unclear with what I was asking, I meant what is the pcb is the gamecube buttons and d-pad connected to? is it just a cut up gamecube controller pcb?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Thank you for the reply, I realize I was unclear with what I was asking, I meant what is the pcb is the gamecube buttons and d-pad connected to? is it just a cut up gamecube controller pcb?
That seems to be the most efficient way and is also the way I'm doing it. If you're cutting up a Wavebird you may as well reuse as much as you can.

evan w

That seems to be the most efficient way and is also the way I'm doing it. If you're cutting up a Wavebird you may as well reuse as much as you can.
Ok, thank you for the response.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Was shank using a wired GameCube controller inside the GameCube joy cons or a wave bird
If you need help determining the answer to a question answered in detail in Shank's video, then this project probably isn't for you.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Hi shanks,
I'm starting another mod (that will probably never be finished) on my switch and I have a question, where is the test point for the Home button? I checked around with my multi meter but I was outta luck and my google-fu failed me.

thanks in advance

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Hi shanks,
I'm starting another mod (that will probably never be finished) on my switch and I have a question, where is the test point for the Home button? I checked around with my multi meter but I was outta luck and my google-fu failed me.

thanks in advance
I didn't write down what went to what, but there very well may not be a test point for the home button. You may have to just solder to the leg of the tact switch, as that's likely what I did

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
I didn't write down what went to what, but there very well may not be a test point for the home button. You may have to just solder to the leg of the tact switch, as that's likely what I did
huh, didn't think of that, good idea!
thank for the suggestion