Gamecube Commission

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but would anyone be interested in doing a gamecube portable for me...I was going to attempt one myself, but I find myself not having much time these days, and I have next to no experience with hardware mods so even if I did complete one it would probably take at least months and still look like garbage when I finish. I also realize wii portables are the new craze, but i have an extra gamecube and I actually have a wasp fusion with swiss autoboot preflashed I believe, which I hear they are no longer being made...so I thought instead of having this stuff just sitting around I would check I anyone would be interested in making these things a bit more useful to me...

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
One important thing you should mention is how much you are willing to pay and what features you would want. I myself am not high up enough to make portables for others.

Ya I had considered that but I was thinking of adding in some materials as well as some cash so I was gonna see if there is any interest first...I had a Nintendo component cable which I believe is worth upwards of $300 and if it would interest the maker an new official 7" raspberry pi touch screen which is around $70...I wuld also through in cash possibly $200-300,but I also hav some more materials such as a zn45 case I believe but it doesn't have anything done to it yet and a gamecube controller which is one of the features I want is all gamecube controlls...even shoulder buttons which I think can be more of a pain? But if it would bump the price up a lot I would be open to alternatives...around a 5" screen would b nice and the charge and play feature...o and I already hav an extra memory card which I would like built in as well as one external memory slot...and at least one external controller port...I would make a more detailed list if someone is interested...

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I also realize wii portables are the new craze
There are many reasons why it's the new craze. Gamecube portables create a lot more heat, and require much larger fans and heatsinks. This leaves you with a larger, heavier portable that runs hotter. They also consume more power, so you have more weight from batteries, while getting less battery life. Gamecubes are harder to work with, and cannot be cut as small, which leaves you more restricted in terms of layout. The higher current draw through the regulator's inductors creates a stronger magnetic field, which is the primary source video interference. I could list advantages all day, and haven't even begin to scratch the surface, especially with software like PortablizeMii. All in all, for gamecube portables, you are working harder and paying more for a product that is inferior in virtually every way.

but i have an extra gamecube and I actually have a wasp fusion with swiss autoboot preflashed I believe, which I hear they are no longer being made...
Wasps are worth a pretty penny right now. The most economical way to get a portable would be to sell the wasp and use that towards a wii portable. The majority of the cost of a portable isn't the console, its all the supplementary components that you don't have right now.

Ok...I have virtually no experience with wiis...do they use memory cards or wat is storage method? Also they are backwards compatible with gamecube games as far as I understand? And wat exactly does PortabilizeMii add to it?

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Ok...I have virtually no experience with wiis...do they use memory cards or wat is storage method? Also they are backwards compatible with gamecube games as far as I understand? And wat exactly does PortabilizeMii add to it?
PortablizeMii will allow you to play Gamecube backups from a flash drive, as well as Wii games, wii Ware, and several emulated consoles.

It also allows you to boot with no wifi module, and no disc drive connected, which is pretty big for portables, and it requires absolutely no modchips at all

ok so I will also be able to play my gamecube games from previously saved material? also it was said that they are cheaper...what kind of prize range are we talking for a lower-mid end one?

Portables
ok so I will also be able to play my gamecube games from previously saved material? also it was said that they are cheaper...what kind of prize range are we talking for a lower-mid end one?
I believe it's cheaper than a gamecube portable

Acronell

Aquafam

That's up to the builder, noone has the same price.

It's based on cost of materials, which is usually standard, but then also how much the builder believes their time is worth.

Noone will build a portable just on cost of parts for you.

Also, I am in no way saying not to get a Cube Portable, I'm currently in wait for mine :)

ya man I realize these things aren't easy to build that is why I am getting someone else to build it :) I am not expecting free work I just was wondering how much cheaper it would b...

Acronell

Aquafam
ya man I realize these things aren't easy to build that is why I am getting someone else to build it :) I am not expecting free work I just was wondering how much cheaper it would b...
You should try getting into building, it's kind of nice.

I'm still building fun things, and getting a great guy to take on commission to build one for me. Mine will not look pretty if I try to rush, so I'm going slow and having fun :)

well I have actually...I got Ben Hecks book on portables and tried his playstation 1 portable...I tried to go the make the case by hand trick and soon found out there is a reason I didn't excel in art class:P I messed by big time on cutting the case, but the main problem was I got too thick of plastic and it was way to hard to make accurate cuts and such...anyway I spend alot of time on the case and it turned out prty bad! Anyway that really discouraged me...Also my main goal was to eventually make a gamecube portable since that is the console I played the most growing up...anyway in the meantime i started getting into computer programming and so trying to learn programming which is what I want to get a job in eventually is consuming what use to be my modding time...and since I am currently holding another full time job that doesn't leave me with much free time...maybe once I get a job in programming that will free up my evenings again and I can give the portable thing another crack because I really did enjoy it!

Portables
well I have actually...I got Ben Hecks book on portables and tried his playstation 1 portable...I tried to go the make the case by hand trick and soon found out there is a reason I didn't excel in art class:P I messed by big time on cutting the case, but the main problem was I got too thick of plastic and it was way to hard to make accurate cuts and such...anyway I spend alot of time on the case and it turned out prty bad! Anyway that really discouraged me...Also my main goal was to eventually make a gamecube portable since that is the console I played the most growing up...anyway in the meantime i started getting into computer programming and so trying to learn programming which is what I want to get a job in eventually is consuming what use to be my modding time...and since I am currently holding another full time job that doesn't leave me with much free time...maybe once I get a job in programming that will free up my evenings again and I can give the portable thing another crack because I really did enjoy it!
Ben Heck's book?

ya its really old and cost a good chunk...i was able to pick one up on ebay for cheap tho, but from what I have been hearing you are better off just sticking around here for instructions...

Acronell

Aquafam
Holy Ancient Texts!!!

I actually forgot about that book. Alot of it is really outdated, and many parts he talks about are hard to find now, or better alternatives exist now, for cheaper.

Ben Heck's book?
Yeah, Ben wrote a book on portablizing back in the day.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I think that $200-300 would buy you all the parts you need with a bit of wiggle room for parts that you need to buy twice or mess up on. I think your best bet would be to build your own rather than commission one since even the cheap portables tend to be a couple times that amount or more, unless the seller just wants their cost of parts back out of it. But for a commission piece it would usually cost much more than cost of parts because this is a pretty labor intensive hobby.

It's really fun building a portable, and you learn a lot. Actually since getting into customizing game consoles I've hardly played any games at all, which is weird haha. It's a challenge, but you feel damn good when you've finished something. Plus there's the bonus of being able to say "I made this." If you do decide to make your own, I recommend a wii portable as well. It can do everything a GameCube can, and more, but with less effort and a generally better product. :)