Question Gamecube classic mini

Hello everyone,

First I want to thank you all, the work and the documentation on this forum is impressive.
I am new to Wii modding.
I am still waiting for my Gboy kit to arrive.
During this time I want to train my soldering and cutting skills with something less demanding than a portable.
So I decided to build a wii mini.

I named it unoriginally the Gamecube classic mini.
I will take a 4 layer OMGWTF trimmed wii motherboard and put it inside a gamecube controller Brook adapter for Switch/Wii U
I have only hdmi screens at home (TV, computer monitors) so I want to use a Pluto IIx Board preprogrammed with gcvideo.

I already have the Wii, the Brook adapter, I am waiting for a Pluto IIx Board.
I am planning to buy the RVL-PMS 2.
If this does not fit, I will try to 3D print the case.

I have a few questions :
1 - I am planning on soldering the PlutoBoard, is it easier to solder by passing magnet wire on the vias, or directly on the AVE pads ?
2 - If I use the PlutoBoard, do I need to configure/patch the wii before I trim it like the VGA mod ?
3 - Will the RVL PMS 2 work if no battery is connected ? or should I use custom regulators ?
4 - If the RVL PMS 2 with no battery works, what is the voltage-range accepted (I read up to 15V 3A, but there is no minimum mentionned)

Thank you.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
1. The vias are much easier to solder to if you use 36ga or 38ga enameled magnet wire
2. Yes! Some of the software patches are for other hardware you trim off
3/4. I can't say for the pms 2 as I haven't used it yet, but I know the pms 1 does not work without a battery, and takes voltages as low as 5v (it charges slower on lower voltages)

Thank you very much !

Since my Gboy kit has been cancelled, I am switching my project to something more ambitious.

Can I keep this thread to ask questions and create another one one the summer contest for the worklog ?