GameCube Advance SP (GCA SP)

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Compo rules have changed. Builds of this caliber will be denied entry. For reals though, take it easy on the rest of us!

Excellent build! Definitely gives me vibes of that pre-DS what-will-Nintendo's-GBA-successor-look-like mockup:
Soon,

T.T.

Very rarely do I see something so well built that I go and make an account just so I can say how well done this is.
I've been putting off building my own Gamecube portable for quite some time (due to laziness), and this is pretty much what I've been envisioning. Fantastic job on the build.

Also, if you do release the files (which I really hope you do), I will definitely be building one of these. I have several GC motherboards that need a home in a project.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Very rarely do I see something so well built that I go and make an account just so I can say how well done this is.
I've been putting off building my own Gamecube portable for quite some time (due to laziness), and this is pretty much what I've been envisioning. Fantastic job on the build.

Also, if you do release the files (which I really hope you do), I will definitely be building one of these. I have several GC motherboards that need a home in a project.
You might want to go for a Wii instead, better battery life, smaller/easier trim, and no need to wire up memory cards and the nearly impossible to find wasp/wiikey fusion.

T.T.

I would do a wii, but I've been having a hard time finding them for a price that I'm willing to pay, but I do have several gamecubes, 6 or 7 wiikeys, and I'm very comfortable soldering small/ridiculous things.

I would do a wii, but I've been having a hard time finding them for a price that I'm willing to pay, but I do have several gamecubes, 6 or 7 wiikeys, and I'm very comfortable soldering small/ridiculous things.
You can find wiis on eBay with broken or disfuncional disc drives(which you just take out and ditch anyway) fairly regularly for around $20. :) if you do decide to go with a Wii, they are actually pretty cheap if you know what to look for.

Small update: A friend of mine playing with it said it was great, but he really wished the C-stick was at least yellow. So I did one better, and 3D designed these. Since the tolerances had to be pretty good, I had Shapeways print them. They arrived this morning. Unfortunately they got dirty very quickly. :/

Attachments

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I actually think the sticks look better with a little bit of darkening on the upper parts, looks nice!

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Do plan to share the 3d files? I plan to do a CLAM SHELL design. And i was wondering if i could look at them

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Very nice upgrade! The C stick design looks funny squashed down to a slider topper, but what can you do? Both sticks look faithful to the source inspiration. Great work on the design!

Thanks everyone! And @DeoNaught if you promise you won't do anything scummy with them, send me a PM and I'll send you a zip file of the whole shebang: STL files, board scans, CAD files, various pictures I used, etc. When I'm not being lazy, I want to tweak a few things so I can share everything I've modeled, but maybe not necessarily the actual shell just yet. In the CAD files I've got meticulously modeled buttons, button holes, sliders, slider mounts, slider caps, triggers, trigger holes, trigger mounts, boards, board mounts, the screen, the driver board, mounts for those, and etc. It was a pain to do, but hopefully the things I've modeled will help assist others to make great portables.