Worklog Gameboy Horror(Gameboy Color Mod)

Portables
Hi, So atm I can't post any pictures of this. I will be able to hopefully by the end of the week but while I am waiting to post and Upload Pictures and show off what I have done.
I was actually quite wondering on how I could build a Battery Level Indicator that is Blue when the Battery level is pretty high and then Yellow when it is kind of low and then Red when it is dying.
I want to use the Boo Radar while building this but I want to make it a Battery Indicator instead.
I have been trying my best to google and do research on this but I alas can't find anything that I have been looking for with it.
Other than that. I actually kind of have the entire thing doneish. I have to get a Front Light for the screen and then I'm going modify a Gameboy Camera to be abit smaller and fit inside of a Black Gameboy Cartridge so that I also have a working Camera on it.
It's a Simple Mod but you really don't see enough of it out there.
But if anyone could help out with the Battery Level Indicator or knows where I could find something simular that already exists or any schematics. That would be super helpful!!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I'll have to look for it, but there is a high/low battery level circuit you could combine with a second one to switch from high to medium and then medium to low.
Well the image is gone from where I was thinking, I'll draw up my own when I get back home

cheese

Staff member
Just realized I drew it up to be for a portable and not an actual gameboy, derp...
I assume you're using the default 2x AA cells right? I'll have to adjust it for the voltage difference

Portables
Just realized I drew it up to be for a portable and not an actual gameboy, derp...
I assume you're using the default 2x AA cells right? I'll have to adjust it for the voltage difference
Yes, I am using the Default 2x AA cells. Thank you so much Cheese!!

cheese

Staff member
LOW, MED, and HIGH go to the - of the respective indicator LEDs. VCC goes to + of battery, and GND to -. Adjust the left potentiometer for the HIGH/MID range cutoff and the right potentiometer for the MID/LOW range cutoff. Also, the transistors can be any NPN transistor, I just chose the 2N3904 since they're pretty common and crazy cheap. You'll definately save space if you use SMT transistors however :P

Also, to anyone who is wondering, this exact same circuit will work with 7.4v and 11.1v batteries as well, just change the resistance on the potentiometer and it will work ^-^

low_voltage_indicator.png

Portables
Alright! Thanks a lot! I'll try to get the parts for it soon and get buildin on it! And I might use the SMTs due to it being in a GBC and so I probably will need it as small as I can get it lol.
I'll try to get pictures posted soon of what I have and I'll try to pick up those parts too

cheese

Staff member
If you happen to have a bench supply that can output variable voltage, the 2xAA cells put out around 3.2v-3.4v full charge, and right around 2v fully discharged, you can use that to set the potentiometers (you can get SMT pots as well!)

If not, just hook the batteries in the GBC and play for a bit to set the ranges you want.

Portables
So Here is what I have so far on my GBC Horror. It's honestly just a faceplate swap on the front. (I had accidently dropped it recently and it cracked the bottom edge which really sucks) I have a clear plastic bulb for the top Boo Radar at my dad's house. So I'll try to get that later on. I'm currently broke atm with College and Christmas near so I can't do a front light mod yet nor can I make the Boo Radar Battery Indicator(Which I may try to commission someone to make super tiny once I get money. Due to my soldering skills not being the greatest. Especially with tiny things and I will need a small Surface Mount one just due to the tiny amount of space inside the GBC)